Pool Heater Drain Plug Bolt Sheared

May 1, 2008
Help!!!

I was putting together the equipment in order to open the pool for the season. I was tightening up the heater drain plug bolt when it suddenly sheared in half. Does anyone have any clue how I get remove the sheared bolt? I'm hoping this won't be a major expense to repair.

I have a Jandy Lite 2 heater.

Thanks.

I know a few ways including drilling it out and retapping it, tapping it around with a cold chisel, applying heat (lots of eg OxyAcet), and my favorite, welding a tower of weld onto the stub and then a "T" bar to turn it.
Whatever way you look at it it's usually a pig, I'd ask a mobile mechanic and let someone else swear at it.

The brass plug? Stripped I've had happen, never sheared.
There is a tool called an Easy Out. Since the brass plug is hollow, you don't need to drill. just a reverse threaded Easy Out on a T handle or drill the is a bit bigger than the hole. The reverse thread will bite into the soft brass and unthread the remaining piece of the plug.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.