Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heater Drain Plug Bolt Sheared

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heater Drain Plug Bolt Sheared

I was putting together the equipment in order to open the pool for the season. I was tightening up the heater drain plug bolt when it suddenly sheared in half. Does anyone have any clue how I get remove the sheared bolt? I'm hoping this won't be a major expense to repair.

I have a Jandy Lite 2 heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heater Drain Plug Bolt Sheared

I know a few ways including drilling it out and retapping it, tapping it around with a cold chisel, applying heat (lots of eg OxyAcet), and my favorite, welding a tower of weld onto the stub and then a "T" bar to turn it.
    Whatever way you look at it it's usually a pig, I'd ask a mobile mechanic and let someone else swear at it.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

South Central NJ

The brass plug? Stripped I've had happen, never sheared.
    There is a tool called an Easy Out. Since the brass plug is hollow, you don't need to drill. just a reverse threaded Easy Out on a T handle or drill the is a bit bigger than the hole. The reverse thread will bite into the soft brass and unthread the remaining piece of the plug.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's some pictures to give you a better idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Like poolguy said, easyout. It works so well I've often been amazed, plus you already have the hole in it.

you can get it at napa or uap. Take along the broken piece.
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.