Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help Getting Started

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help Getting Started

Last season, I did not cover my 18,200 gallon AG pool. Reason for this was I had a leak that I could not find and was afraid that water level would reduce to jeopardize walls of pool. Apparently the leak must be somewhere about where the water comes out, because it never dropped more than 1 foot. I will be searching for this leak as soon as I can get in the pool after it is clean and warm enough it get inside...

So, you can imagine what my pool looks like right now... Dark green with lots of leaves on the bottom.

I have the AquaSmarte Mineral pool system with the chlorine bac packs which are very expensive. This year I was considering not replacing the mineral pack and just going to the BBB method.

My question is what is the best way to start to get the pool back in shape using this BBB method. Would I use a floating chlorinator with 1 inch chlorine tablets and just use the bleach for shock? Also need to know how much bleach I should put in to kill all the algae.

Thanks for your help!
    Louisville, KY
    27 ft round AG Pool/4.25 FT Deep -18200 Gallons- Sand Filter Hayward SP0714T Series Vari-FLo XL Valve
    Wedding Cake Steps
    Hayward Ladybug Autocleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help Getting Started

The best way to start is to get the pump running and then test all your levels. Since you have been using tricolor it is especially important to find out your CYA level.

The next step is to get as many of the leaves and other debris out as you can and do some reading at pool school.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Start HERE

Don't use tablets - they don't dissolve fast enough, and they will add other stuff you may not need and probably don't want.

Before you spend the day reading in Pool School, break out the plastic and order up a decent test kit. They are discussed in Pool School, .

Without the kit, you'll
    • Be at the mercy of the Pool Store
      Probably spend 8-10X as much on snake oils than you will on a test kit
      Still be struggling with it until August
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I will order a test kit today. I am in KY so we are expecting much more rain this week. Once I switch to the BBB method (after I get it clean) how much bleach will I be putting in the pool per week? (Average)
    Louisville, KY
    27 ft round AG Pool/4.25 FT Deep -18200 Gallons- Sand Filter Hayward SP0714T Series Vari-FLo XL Valve
    Wedding Cake Steps

5. Back To Top    #5

Every pool is unique and every pool will use different amounts. You can play with the Pool Calculator and see how much bleach it takes to raise the FC level by 2ppm in your pool, based on your gallons. Most pools average 2-3 ppm loss per day. Then you can guestimate how many jugs a week that is.

You can use tablets in a floater or inline chlorinator swapped out for that Aquasmarte, which is a good choice to get rid of by the way.... if you decide to use tablets, you need to know that they are acidic, they lower your PH and TA, so you'll be adding more chems to keep those in range....additionally, tablets raise CYA levels so you have to start out with a very low CYA level and then replace water or switch to bleach daily when it gets to the top end of the range, and even then the tablets may not produce enough FC to stay up above your "min" FC level. It requires more testing and monitoring than just daily bleach additions.

You can put your pool specs and equipment in your signature - Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Welcome to TFP
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the Info... Just ordered the Taylor K 2006 kit...
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

7. Back To Top    #7

Used to use trichlor pucks, shocked every two weeks with dichlor, still had algae bloom in July/August. Last year switched to BBB, I use trichlor occasionally just to maintain CYA level. Never shocked once last year, not a drop of green anywhere right up to closing. Also using TF100 kit. TFP is best ever!!
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII hp cartridge 150ft, Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83F (28.3C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.

8. Back To Top    #8

Got my Taylor kit and here are the results:
    Total Hardness: 250
    Total Chlorine 3
    Free Chlorine 1
    PH 7
    Alkalinity 40
    CYA 40

Pool is cloudy and I can't see the bottom... What should I do?
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

9. Back To Top    #9

Cloudy Water but no longer Green! Need help though!

Got my Taylor kit and here are the results:
    Total Hardness: 250
    Total Chlorine 3
    Free Chlorine 1
    PH 7
    Alkalinity 40
    CYA 25

Pool was uncovered during the winter - so I had lots of algae - I shocked a week or so ago...I still have a few leaves to remove once I can get in it again...

Pool is cloudy blue now and I can't see the bottom... What should I do? New to BBB method...
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

10. Back To Top    #10

First, raise TA (alkalinity) to 80. Then double check your FC (free chlorine) and TC (total chlorine) test results. If your posted results are correct, you should shock the pool. See the directions on How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy Water but no longer Green! Need help though!

You must shock your pool. The correct way to do so can be found up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Cloudy Water but no longer Green! Need help though!

Yep, the cloudiness indicates that you still need to shock as this water condition is most likely due to the fact that you still have algae.

13. Back To Top    #13

I shocked the pool and it is still cloudy... See my other post on whether or not I can use baking soda to raise ph and alkalinity which are very low
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnd123
    I shocked the pool and it is still cloudy... See my other post on whether or not I can use baking soda to raise ph and alkalinity which are very low
    How many days did it take?

You do know that shocking is not a one-time thing, right? It's a process, not a product. You need to boost FC way up, and keep it up, even if it means adding bleach every hour or two. There are directions in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

I had shocked several times before. This time is maintained the TC of 10 overnight. Added 12 lbs of baking soda today... Here are my latest readings:

CYA 65
    TC 10
    FC 9.2
    PH 7.6
    TA 97
    TH 131

These readings were done at my local pool store. The clerk recommended a flocculant to help the sand media. Tried that earlier today - still cloudy. I just poured that product directly in skimmer. Suppose to backwash in 48 hours.
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

16. Back To Top    #16

Flocculants are typically not worth the money. You have a filter that does that kind of work for you already. Another issue that I see is that the pool store is doing your testing. Have you considered what Richard320 mentioned about getting your own high quality test kit? If you go to www.tftestkits.net, you will be able to find a good kit for a good price.

17. Back To Top    #17

I did purchase the Taylor kit... Just wanted to check their readings against mine and I was right on. Any recommendations on water to do with the cloudy water? Should I take the top off the pump and try and stir the sand to see if there is channeling?
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

18. Back To Top    #18

They also did an algae test and their was none.
    Louisville, KY
    Wedding Cake Steps

19. Back To Top    #19

The clerk recommended a flocculant to help the sand media. Tried that earlier today - still cloudy. I just poured that product directly in skimmer. Suppose to backwash in 48 hours.
    If you used a flocculant, they should have told you to circulate the water for an hour or so, then shut the pump off and let everything settle overnight and vacuum to waste the next day.

They also did an algae test and their was none.
    Never heard of an algae test. Something new?

With a CYA at 65, I would bring the FC up to 15 or 20 ppm and keep it there until everything clears. You may have to check the FC level a few times a day, and adjust. Use liquid chlorine (bleach), no pucks. I wouldn't add anything else to the water.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam