Need some guidance here...

Apr 14, 2011
The Bluegrass State
I'm putting all of my test results into a Google Doc so you can see the history as well as any notes I've made. Any chemical additions in the Notes section were done immediately AFTER that particular test was taken so the results of that addition would be seen in the following line. Google Doc can be accessed here:

http://bit.ly/cluelesspool

OK. So you can see that I've worked on getting the Ph down to around 7.5 and the CYA up to about 30, per the recommendations I received earlier from members here. Now I'm kind of stuck because the pool is getting cloudier but I'm not sure if that's due to the two inches of rain we've gotten this weekend or if I'm screwing something up. It seems like it should be getting clearer but I'm going backwards. So, last night I decided to start bringing it up to shock level which I understand is 24 for my SWG vinyl inground. Unfortunately, I was a couple gallons short last night so I had to make a run this morning to get more bleach but I went ahead last night and put in what I had which is why you see the level is up to 12 now. I have enough bleach now to take it to 24 but I want to make sure I should do that so I'm seeking advice here first. And by the way, you get some funny looks when you buy six big jugs of bleach and a bag of lawn fertilizer at the same time.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Maybe I'm just not being patient enough and these things take time... I don't know anymore.

Thanks in advance..

Clueless said:
I'm putting all of my test results into a Google Doc so you can see the history as well as any notes I've made. Any chemical additions in the Notes section were done immediately AFTER that particular test was taken so the results of that addition would be seen in the following line. Google Doc can be accessed here:

http://bit.ly/cluelesspool

How are you getting your CH to come down? Has it been raining constantly?

That's the first time I've seen google docs.. that's pretty cool.

JasonLion said:
You should post a full set of water test result and also describe the coldness more, is it whitish or greenish completely opaque or semi transparent etc

My test results are in the link above or are you saying I'm missing something else?

As for the cloudiness, I would describe it as white and semi-transparent as I can barely see the bottom of the shallow end... just barely.

Just a few days ago you have no chlorine and no CYA, so whether you saw it or not there should have been algae in the water. Now as you add chlorine, the algae is getting killed and turning white. Be sure to brush, and know that brushing will add to the cloudiness as you pull algae off the walls. Keep the filter running, since that is where the cloudiness is removed. Or, if you can vac to waste, you can let it all settle to the bottom with the filter off, then vac to waste. You gotta remove the dead algae one way or the other.

Good deal. I just added another gallon and two cups and of course the heavens have opened up again and we'll be getting several more inches of rain tonight. I guess on the bright side, I'll have plenty of water to vac to waste with.

I will report back tomorrow with my results. Thanks so much for your attention.

Updated the Google Doc to reflect an additional 182 oz jug of chlorine last night before the storms hit which should have gotten FC to around 16 but I never could get back out to test it. This morning I was in a bit of a rush so couldn't get the full battery of tets done but did do the chlorine test and FC had fallen to 11. Added another 182 oz jug of chlorine and brushed the walls and floor to stir up all the Crud again. Will do a full test when I get home later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As the Pool School instructs - "Hit it Hard". I took that literally this past weekend with my "swamp". Luckily we had good weather (although we need the rain - can you send some to the FL panhandle?). I'm seeing results this morning.

One thing the Pool School doesn't emphasize too much is - you need patience! Good luck and stay focused! You can do this!

Updated the Google Doc with tonight's test results. This morning I got 11 on the FC test and added 182oz of bleach and had to get to work. Eight hours later (and not very sunny until later in the afternoon) I get home and do a test and it's back to 11. Adding another 2 gallons now to get FC level up around 18/19 to hold shock level overnight.

All other numbers look stable, so I'm guessing I'm going down the right path here. Will report back later...

Alright, I went big and put 2.8 gallons in and tested 30 minutes later. FC is now at 22 and I brushed the walls and bottom to get all the crab stirred up again. Maybe this is working as there was FAR less stuff in there bs yesterday and even this morning.

I'm also monitoring pump pressure which holds steady at 45 so if that creeps up I'll backwash the filter.

I'm officially stumped. My FC held at 22 overnight even with a quarter inch of rain early this morning. The pool is cloudy as ever and shows no signs of clearing up after three days at shock level. I really have no idea what to do now.

Last night I turned the lights on in the pool after it got dark and the water looked like it had a bunch of tiny white air bubbles in it causing the cloudiness. I could see billions of them moving past the light in the water.

Someone help me out here. I'm about ready to call the pool company. :(

Google Doc test results are here: http://bit.ly/cluelesspool

Hang in there, have some POP. :)

You are doing everything right... once the FC holds overnight it can take a week for a sand filter to clear up the gunk. You can try a little DE in the sand filter (instructions are in Pool School)if you like. You are running the filter 24/7 correct?

I know this may sound like a obvioous question, but is the filter set to filter, vs recirculate? Also, it can take upwards of 7 days for a sand filter to filter out all the dead algae. As long as the pool is milky grey white and you are holding FC overnight, the alage is dead. Adding some DE to the filter may help speed the filtering process up or as a last resort, if you are in a real hurry, you can try a clarifier. Clarifiers can sometime do the trick, or cause more cloudiness.

Yes, filter is running 24/7. Everything looks fine chemically to my pool school-trained eyes. I was debating turning the pump off when I got home to see if the water cleared up any. My thinking was that would let air bubbles out of the pool (if that's what they are) or it would let the dirt settle to the bottom and I'd have a better idea what's actually IN the pool and build a plan from there.

dmanb2b said:
I know this may sound like a obvioous question, but is the filter set to filter, vs recirculate? Also, it can take upwards of 7 days for a sand filter to filter out all the dead algae. As long as the pool is milky grey white and you are holding FC overnight, the alage is dead. Adding some DE to the filter may help speed the filtering process up or as a last resort, if you are in a real hurry, you can try a clarifier. Clarifiers can sometime do the trick, or cause more cloudiness.

Yes, system is filtering. This morning I backwashed the filter and checked the skimmer basket and all is well.

You can certainly try that route if you like, let it settle and vac to waste if you have that option. I looked at your google doc and you've only listed 5 days of testing so you honestly, haven't been at it for that long... I've advised folks on here for up to a month's time clearing a swamp...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.