Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace heater?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace heater?

We have a Teledyne EG 250 heater (came with the pool & house, not sure how old it is) and it has sprung a leak - water is dripping from the heater. We kind of knew this was coming since the returns to the pool have been spewing out large chunks of rust. I don't think there's a way to bypass the heater - the water goes through the filter then through the heater before circulating back to the pool, so we need to resolve this issue pretty quickly - can't live too long with no water circulation.

Any thoughts on whether to hire someone to take apart the heater and fix the leak or replace the heater all together for a new and more efficient model? If I replace the heater, how do I know what size to get? Any recommended models?

Thanks in advance.
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Replace heater?

Teledyne was bought by Jandy long ago. It likely past the cost effective point of repair. It might be something cheap but if it's blowing rust, it isn't likely. Headers and heat exchangers come to mind when I hear this.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read a couple of threads on here recommending getting max BTU. Ours is 200k, so we're now looking at a 400k Hayward or Pentair. Any thoughts on those?
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Guam, USA

I don't know much about heaters (don't have one), but I do know that for heaters and filters, bigger is better! The only problems you may run into when upgrading to a bigger heater is your gas line and gas meter size. They need to be big enough to handle the increased load with a larger heater. I know the experts will chime in with more info.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool!