Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What happens if CH is very high?

1. Back To Top    #1

What happens if CH is very high?

Happy Easter to all. The wife thinks that we have black algae so I shocked the pool for one week keeping the FC @ 30 and purchased a Stainless Steel brush to try to brush off the darker areas. I rubbed a trichlor tablet on the darker areas and it did not appear lighter.
    Here are my numbers today, we have guests so I am concerned in swimming with very high FC.
    FC - 20
    CC - 0
    TC - 20
    pH - 7.5
    T/A - 70
    CH - 775
    CYA - 70
    Temp 88
    SWG - 3100
    Borate - 50-80
    Thanks for all input
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What happens if CH is very high?

Most likely, at 775, you will be forming scale deposits. Time to start diluting or an RO treatment, if available.

Happy Easter!

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott what is a RO treatment?
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

Reverse Osmosis,
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't know how fillup water test for CH in Jacksonville, but deeper down in Florida, even with a new pool, my CH initially went up to 300 and last test was down to 180 so I had to actually add calcium to slowly bring it up to about 300.

Tested today at CH 250

6. Back To Top    #6

I just tested the drinking water and the CH is 175-200. Do you think the darker black spots are scaling?

7. Back To Top    #7

How did the CH get that high? Are you using cal-hypo in the pool? Try using a length of PVC to pour MA directly on one of the spots and see if it goes away.

As far as high FC goes, you can swim up to shock level for your CYA. Plug the numbers into the pool calculator to see how much FC is safe to swim in your pool.

Make sure you turn the SWG off when you are ready for the FC to drop back down.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    How did the CH get that high? .
    I noticed the CH creaping up since the pool build. It started at 375 two years ago and I guess it really went up over the past winter.

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Are you using cal-hypo in the pool? Try using a length of PVC to pour MA directly on one of the spots and see if it goes away.
    I am using bleach and SWG in the pool. The spot went away after using a lenth of PVC to pour MA directly on one of the spots so do I have some scaling and not black algea????? Do I need to drain the pool to dilute the CH per suggestion from Scott???? Any other alternatives?????
    Thanks in advance

9. Back To Top    #9

The two ways to lower CH levels are water replacement or getting a reverse osmosis treatment. RO is not available in all areas.

Because your tap water CH level is fairly high, you might want to try getting through the season with very high CH. Otherwise you will be replacing water or getting an RO treatment every year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Jason, there will be some water replacement this summer with rainfall as I usually backwash the filter when the pool fills up with rainwater. What would be recommended chemical levels to shoot for? And is it okay to brush the pool using a Stainless Steel Brush instead of the vinyl bristle brush.

11. Back To Top    #11

Brentr: Mine when up a great deal (400 to 500) this winter also even though I maintained the TA & PH fairly well. Must be a NE FL thing.

Regretfully, the rains have missed us so far. Perhaps we can water our lawns with a partial pool drain to even out the cost!

Cheers - Taz
    30' x 15' kidney shaped, 3.5-5.5 ft deep, wet-mix shotcrete inground, AutoPilot Digital SWG - RC35/22 cell, 36" main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dyna-Pro 1 HP, Sta-Rite 2 (PLM100) filter, Polaris 360 cleaner, Marbletite (Marquis/Bluestone), Screen enclosure

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Taz
    Brentr: Mine when up a great deal (400 to 500) this winter also even though I maintained the TA & PH fairly well. Must be a NE FL thing.

Regretfully, the rains have missed us so far. Perhaps we can water our lawns with a partial pool drain to even out the cost!

Cheers - Taz
    Exactly what I was thinking, however Jason thought that I may be able to get by, but I think I need some input in recommended chemical levels to shoot for.

13. Back To Top    #13

As CH goes up you need to lower your PH and TA to compensate. You can use the CSI function on the Pool Calculator to help you figure out appropriate levels. Try to keep your CSI at 0.3 or lower and don't take PH below 7.2. The higher CH gets the more important it becomes to never allow PH to get too high.

A wire brush is fine after the first six months to a year from when the plaster was applied, but the best thing to use is a combo nylon and metal brush.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Double ditto what Jason said.

However, I would personally prefer to lower CH mechanically (partial drain). Your CH would quickly get below 500 (which is very close to the 250-400 we suggest) if you did two successive 33% drain and refills. Subsequent rainfall and refill would make it even lower.

A CH of 500 or less I would consider not at all troublesome as long as you kept your pH in the lower 7's and it would make it unnecessary to calculate CSI.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School