Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump issues!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump issues!

I went to clean my energy filter this morning and the pump had just kicked on for the day, but something is terribly awry. It seems to be surging for lack of a better word. I can hear it gear up and watch the psi on the filters rise only to go flat again (psi has been at about 10 on both), also there are air bubbles showing up in the energy filter container. I shut it off, cleaned the energy filter, emptied the pump basket (which was not that full), cleaned both cartridge filters, which weren't too bad since I just cleaned them 2 weeks ago. Turned everything back on and I am still getting the surge. I am sure there is air somewhere since I am seeing bubbles in the energy filter as well as at the jets in the pool. The pump motor was just replaced in November...help!! What do I do?
    Thanks once again!
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump issues!

Check the skimmer weir to see if it's stuck. It also might be you need to raise the water level?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Water level is good...forgive me, I am still learning all the terminology...not sure what the skimmer weir is, but I will go check the skimmers....thanks Scott..I will report back.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles
    Water level is good...forgive me, I am still learning all the terminology...not sure what the skimmer weir is, but I will go check the skimmers....thanks Scott..I will report back.
    The weir is the flap between the pool and the actual skimmer basket, sort of a one-way valve.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The weir is the little door that controls the flow of water into the skimmer. When the pump is running it should lay down enough for water to flow over it. If the water level is low it may not stay down and will temporarily cut off the flow of water into the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!! Now i know! I checked over the whole skimmer area, cleaned out the baskets (not much in them), checked the plug things underneath (what are those called) and then kicked the pumps back on...not sure what was stuck (weir door was fine) and seems to have remedied the issue. I guess maybe it was just being fussy. Either way, I will remember next time to check the skimmers as well. Thanks again!