Aquarite generating 0 CL, but passes test

Jul 10, 2009
Yorba Linda, CA
My T-CELL-15 has stopped generating CL. Yesterday, I ran it for 10 hours at 100%, and the CL level did not change.

The cell is only a year old. I’ve had it tested at two different pool stores and it passed at both. I’ve cleaned the cell. The Aquarite diagnostics indicate 25.7 volts (a little high) and 5.97 amps while running.

Chemistry: ph = 7.5, TA = 80, CYA = 70, salt = 3300, phosphates < 100. Pool temp = 66, outside temp = 68 and partially cloudy.

I tried an overnight FC loss test (with an FAS test kit) and did not lose any CL. I measure 0 CC.

I’m out of things to try. Any ideas would be appreciated.

FC is 2.5 ppm, CC is 0.

I really don't think it has anything to do with temperature. The cell has worked fine for a year at a range of 50-85 degrees water temperature.

BTW, even though nobody is using the pool yet, we normally have a high "bio" load this time of year. I usually find 2-3 rodents (mice, gophers, and the occassional mole) floating in the pool each morning (the world's most expensive mouse trap!). They're scooped out each morning, so I have a hard time believing that these "organic contaminants" are somehow consuming all the CL.

I sampled the water right at the output side of the SWG cell. The CL reading was exactly the same (2.5 ppm) as taking the reading from the pool. I take it that confirms that the cell really isn't generating any CL? FYI, I see the hydrogen bubbles at the pool inlets. I thought that meant CL was being generated?

Hi Jason,

I'm using both a Taylor FAS-DPD and a standard Taylor DPD test kit. Both are about a year old.

The FAS kit has always measured almost double what the standard DPD test kit does. I've posted about this before but have never gotten a definitive answer why. Right now the std test measures 2.5 ppm, and the FAS test measures 5.0 ppm. When I take a sample to the pool store, they do a std test and get the same 2.5 ppm reading.

When I do the FAS test, I put 10 ml of pool water in the vial, add 2 level scoops of the powder, and then add drops until the pink turns to clear, and multiply drops times .5 ppm.

Regardless of the difference in values between the two test kits, both measure exactly the same level of CL at the output side of the cell and from the pool, e.g., the FAS test measures 5.0 both places, and the std test measures 2.5 both places.

Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hsmyers said:
The Aquarite diagnostics indicate 25.7 volts (a little high) and 5.97 amps while running.
If you're using voltage and current, that means that the cell has to be doing something with that power. If the cell is not getting hot, then it is almost definitely making chlorine.
hsmyers said:
I sampled the water right at the output side of the SWG cell.
Are you sure that it was the output side and not the input side? Try getting a sample from the return while the cell is on.
hsmyers said:
Chemistry: ph = 7.5, TA = 80, CYA = 70, salt = 3300, phosphates < 100. Pool temp = 66, outside temp = 68 and partially cloudy.
What is your calcium level?
hsmyers said:
The FAS kit has always measured almost double what the standard DPD test kit does.
Are you using R-0871 or R-0872?

R-871. Yes, I'm sure I took the sample from the output side of the cell.

We're talking about a cell that was working fine and then just stopped generating any CL at all. I can take another sample to the pool store to test for calcium, but I doubt that's going to be the problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.