Bermuda 18 x 33?

Apr 24, 2011
I am strongly considering a Bermuda 18 x 33 oval AGP. We had our dream of an in-ground pool shattered when we priced them in our area (Columbus, Ohio) and they averaged out to around $34,000. Then I found the Bermuda, which for about $15,000 I can have the pool, all the accessories (salt chlorinator, upgraded liner, pump, coving, gorilla floor, wall pad, etc.), aluminum fencing, concrete decking and which can be almost completely buried. The reason for burying the pool, is that we are not to fond of a large AGP blocking the view of the rest of our yard. I have several questions and would appreciate any expert advice regarding this decision.

1. Is the Bermuda an excellent pool or is the doughboy better?

2. What is the failure rate of burying an AGP, even one that is approved for burying?

3. What should be used to backfill the pool. I have solid clay which doesn't drain water well and I'm afraid that I'll just have a pool of water surrounding my pool of water, lol.

4. Digging and leveling the hole is no problem, as I have good friends (one owns his own surveying company), however do I dig out another section for the equipment (pump, filter, etc)?

5. I want to put concrete decking around the entire pool, 3' on three sides and 10' on one side. Is this a good idea as far as maintenance is concerned?

6. Should I just abandon my dream of an in-ground pool and stick with my 15' intex junk?

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions but I'll start with these. If anyone has experience with burying AGP's and has details about everything involved I would appreciate any knowledge you can provide. Again, thank you for your help.

There are several threads by folks who have buried their above ground pools. Use the google bar at the bottom of the page to search for "buried above ground pool" to pull up links to those threads. What you will need to keep in mind is that you will need access to the top rails in case you ever need to change the liner, so I don't know how well concrete decking will work.

Have you looked into the do it yourself in ground pool kits, such as this example? (not a recommendation, just an example) Several members have built these pools as well and you could search those threads too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.