Bromine + ozonator: do I still need Chlorine +/or MPS?

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
I have learned so much from this forum!

Question: I recently added an ozonator to my 1995 Hot Springs spa, as I was under the impression that it would provide a constant level of oxidation and therefore allow me to run the bromine level lower. I initially load the water with NaBr per the bottle instructions.

Previously, I had been adding MPS after every soak but now with the ozonator, do I still need to?
From posts on this forum it seems MPS may not be the ideal shocking agent; should I use bleach instead?

I guess I find the idea of mixing chlorine and bromine a little confusing.

Also: do I still need the BromTabs floater now that I have an ozonator? Or will that depend on my bromine level measurements?

Thanks in advance.

Even though you have an ozinator it will likely not keep up with normal loading. Ozinator, bleach and MPS all perform the same function of oxidation which in turn converts NaBr (bromine bank) to Bromine sanitizer. The problem with an Ozinator is it is not as effective (fast) as bleach or MPS. You will still need to shock with bleach or MPS from time to time to get rid of med to high bather waste. It does not matter which one you use (bleach or MPS) because they both perform the same function. I prefer bleach because I already use it in my pool.

An ozontor does not reduce the level of sanitizer needed, but it does reduce the amount of oxidizer required after a soak to get rid of bather waste. Also, if you use the 3-step bromine method and start off with a bromide bank by adding sodium bromide to the water, then the ozonator can produce bromine on a regular basis. However, an ozonator is not usually enough by itself to handle bather waste, especially if one us using the tub every day or two. One needs to add additional oxidizer where chlorine bleach is the least expensive and can be added after a soak as needed.

If one soaks infrequently, less than twice a week, then it is possible for the ozonator to produce enough bromine if you added a sodium bromide bank initially for the 3-step bromine system, but you'll have to measure the bromine level to be sure.

Thanks for all the above responses.
I will check the bromine levels and adjust the floater accordingly. It is at the lowest setting/opening now.
Bleach is definitely less expensive!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.