Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bromine + ozonator: do I still need Chlorine +/or MPS?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bromine + ozonator: do I still need Chlorine +/or MPS?

I have learned so much from this forum!

Question: I recently added an ozonator to my 1995 Hot Springs spa, as I was under the impression that it would provide a constant level of oxidation and therefore allow me to run the bromine level lower. I initially load the water with NaBr per the bottle instructions.

Previously, I had been adding MPS after every soak but now with the ozonator, do I still need to?
    From posts on this forum it seems MPS may not be the ideal shocking agent; should I use bleach instead?

I guess I find the idea of mixing chlorine and bromine a little confusing.

Also: do I still need the BromTabs floater now that I have an ozonator? Or will that depend on my bromine level measurements?

Thanks in advance.
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bromine + ozonator: do I still need Chlorine +/or MPS?

Even though you have an ozinator it will likely not keep up with normal loading. Ozinator, bleach and MPS all perform the same function of oxidation which in turn converts NaBr (bromine bank) to Bromine sanitizer. The problem with an Ozinator is it is not as effective (fast) as bleach or MPS. You will still need to shock with bleach or MPS from time to time to get rid of med to high bather waste. It does not matter which one you use (bleach or MPS) because they both perform the same function. I prefer bleach because I already use it in my pool.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach is also less expensive than MPS.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

You still need the floater.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

An ozontor does not reduce the level of sanitizer needed, but it does reduce the amount of oxidizer required after a soak to get rid of bather waste. Also, if you use the 3-step bromine method and start off with a bromide bank by adding sodium bromide to the water, then the ozonator can produce bromine on a regular basis. However, an ozonator is not usually enough by itself to handle bather waste, especially if one us using the tub every day or two. One needs to add additional oxidizer where chlorine bleach is the least expensive and can be added after a soak as needed.

If one soaks infrequently, less than twice a week, then it is possible for the ozonator to produce enough bromine if you added a sodium bromide bank initially for the 3-step bromine system, but you'll have to measure the bromine level to be sure.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the above responses.
    I will check the bromine levels and adjust the floater accordingly. It is at the lowest setting/opening now.
    Bleach is definitely less expensive!!
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator