Need help unplugging suction line near skimmer

kabbak

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2010
"Lamorinda" California
Have 23inHg suction on my 1.5" line.

It seems like I've tried everything (ha ha), but have failed so far.
Have 1.5" PVC adapted up to 2" at pump inlet.

First, on pump inlet side I've tried:

Water hose with two sizes of "Drain Kings" run at least 20 minutes.
Water hose wrapped in towel run at least 20 minutes.
1/4" & 3/16" snakes - but couldn't get past bends to main line.
Never saw anything come out.

At skimmer side I then tried:
1/4 & 3/16 snake - but couldn't get to main line either because of bends or blockage.
3/16" got the furthest. Once, previously, like 2 feet in. Today only maybe a foot.
I'm pretty convinced the blockage is next to the skimmer as today's snaking has made the blockage significantly worse! Vacuum gage at pump now at 25inHG from 23 before today's snaking.
This was to be my final attempt at this, so of course, today's attempt is the first time it did anything and it made it worse!
So now I'm pretty screwed.

I'm aware there is "art" to driving a snake, but am apparently, artless.
Any suggestions on how I proceed?
Thanks much.

Here's what I would try next. Take a wet/dry vac and hook it to the skimmer outlet. Then take the water hose wraped in a rag and pressurize the line from the other end. That may be just enough force to move it. If that doesn't work the first time swap ends. You may have to do it several times.

Well I give up.
I can't seem to get enough differential pressure to dislodge whatever is there and my snaking around seems to have just made it worse.

I suspect something is really wrong in there as I don't see much reference to needing to snake a suction line so there must be something "illegal" in there like a root or a skimmer part etc.

Anyone ever get any kind of camera in there?

Looks like I need the skimmer replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.