Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not-so California weather

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Not-so California weather

It's been warmer in London than here this past week. Grey skies, too. A bit windy here this evening.

Why do I bring this up? Because I had a long, brutal day at work to cap off a long, busy week. I'm tired and sore and stiffening up, and a soak in the spa would feel good. It's the thought of getting out of the darn thing that keeps me from turning on the heater!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Valley, CA

Re: Not-so California weather

Kids were off for spring break so I took off work with a plan of golf in the morning and swimming in the afternoon. Got the morning golf but a half hour was all I could take in the pool. Kids managed an hour on days the wind wasn't blowing as hard. Was definitely frustrating.

I remember last year it was cold into May. Hoping not a repeat. Messed my tomatoes up too.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

3. Back To Top    #3
    Left coast

Richard I know how you feel about a good soak, but in my case a shower is all I got and maybe a few aspirins. A few weeks ago I put on the solar cover and got the water temp up from the low 60s to about 71 yesterday. My 15 yr old daughter could not wait to get in. She spent about an 1 hr swimming. She is like a fish but still way to cold for my bones.
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

4. Back To Top    #4

Somewhere on the Emerald Coast

BRRRRRRRR ... either you guys are either real young or else you belong to the friggin' polar bear club!!

80 deg. F is my absolute minimum before I get in ... unless I've been out in the yard diggin', cuttin', etc and have worked up a good sweat and need to cool down ... only then will I even consider getting in at 78 or so. Thing is ... I grew up in northern Indiana (Go Irish !) and used to swim in Lake Michigan like it was bath water ... ahhh ... to be young again !!!
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

5. Back To Top    #5
    NE Ohio

What you are all describing is life in NE Ohio. Grey, cloudy and unpredictable from one minute to the next. I won't even go on about the temps. All I can do is stare at my covered oasis of fun and sigh a big sigh of disgust.

What does a sparkling pool look like?
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

6. Back To Top    #6

Right there with ya Darn weather will not break 70 w/ overnight lows in the 30's, I'm getting real tired of staring at the pool cover. We're in the pool as soon as the water is 68+ deg
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

glooucester va

We're a little better here in VA, but this week it cooled off and rained on/off...
    Still opening pool today! may not swim, but getting the cover off etc...
    33ft x 52in AGP (partially buried) 26000 gal
    sand filter, 200#, 2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Waaay NW MN

Feeling your pain. We just had 4" of snow in the last week. Beat that.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!