Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternative chlorine test

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternative chlorine test

Help, I messed up. I opened the pool this weekend and it was pretty much a disaster, nasty and green and 2 foot low. My dilema is I've run out of the R-0871 reagent for testing FC levels. I reordered but it will be a few days until it gets here. I have an OTO kit but it only goes to 3 and I am trying to shock the pool. My last reading was 14 FC .5 CC so the 3 limit doesn't help. Is there a trick I can use to at least get a ball park to know if I'm in the shock level using the oto kit?
    IG Plaster
    25000 gal
    72 F
    Added 910 oz (5 jugs) 6% after 14 reading
    CYA ~120
    TA 220
    CH 400
    pH 7.5
    water light green and a bit cloudy but improving

Thanks,
    25000 gal IG gunite plaster. Built in spa, built 1984.
    48 SF Hayward DE-4800 filter
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    3/4 hp Polaris PB-4 booster pump, Polaris 380
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alternative chlorine test

Two ways to do this, and neither one is very good.

1) Dilute your sample 4:1 or 5:1 with distilled water then see what it reads and multiply by the appropriate factor. If you're looking for 15, I'd guess you could be anywhere between 5 and 25.

2) Use the OTO. From my experience just fooling around, blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18.

You can always overshoot. As I recall, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange.

Or, just consider the bleach you poured in lost and wait for the R-0871 to arrive. Realistically, the lost bleach probably cost less than what you'll waste guessing at FC levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If your CYA is 120, you should consider some water replacement before trying to clear this as even with a working test it would likely take A LOT of bleach.

Ike.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply's. I diluted 5:1 and got a bright yellow that is equal to the top level on the oto (5, thought it was 3) or better. I'm going to let it ride for the night and decide in the morning whether to fight it or do the water replacement. I fought the high cya all last season, you'd think I'd remember hehe.
    25000 gal IG gunite plaster. Built in spa, built 1984.
    48 SF Hayward DE-4800 filter
    1 hp Hayward super pump
    3/4 hp Polaris PB-4 booster pump, Polaris 380
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Your high CSI is probably contributing to your cloudiness. You should lower your pH to about 7.2 and begin working on getting the TA down.

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't want to try and adjust PH while the pool is at shock level, the PH test won't work correctly. Leave anything to do with CSI or PH until shocking is complete.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

As Jason said, don't adjust the pH. At least until your FC gets back to 10 or below. My recommendation is not to even test the pH while shocking because it just confuses the issue and it's not going to be accurate at shock levels. Just leave the pH in the pool calc that you got before you started shocking.

If you keep the levels between the recommended ranges you don't have to worry about the CSI. It won't get far enough one way or the other to be an issue except in very special circumstances.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit