Need help to fix loose pump strainer lid

W

Windsurfer50

I just opened my pool today and had a lot of trouble getting the pump to suck. I finally decided to wrap some teflon tape around the pump skimmer lid o-ring groove as I just replaced the old o-ring and still had problems. This is working, but still have some bubbles. My basket lid seems to be loose with just the o-ring and I have the correct o-ring. Anyone have and suggestions one fixing this problem? I've thought of spray painting the groove to increase the o-ring crush and have a better seal. I have some plastic spray paint and wondered if anyone had any other ideas? Thanks,

It seems to be a fairly common problem here on the forum. Thinking about it, either the lid or pump body could be warped/damaged which seems unlikely so it gets back to the 0-ring as the only other possibility.

I would make darn sure you got the right diameter and circumference(does it look like it seats properly?) and that someone didn't sell you the wrong thing. I personally wouldn't paint it.

They should match up well without having to modify them. After seven years, mine will self-seal simply by laying the lid on the o-ring and turning on the pump....I have been lucky and never even had to lube it.

Yes I've always used silicone lube. I design parts with o-rings and bought the o-rings at work, so I'm pretty sure I have the right size. I guess I should take all the measurements and see if the fit is correct. Right now the teflon tape seems to be doing the job. I have about 6 layers and it seals great with no bubbles in the pump skimmer or the pool. Just hope it lasts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.