Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My first test results.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    My first test results.

    Great forum. Tons of info.
    My pool is way out of whack right now. No more guessing for me. I have the FAS-DPD test kit. Here are the results.
    I haven't shocked the pool lately. I have trichlor tabs in the skimmer right now.

    FC - .4ppm 2 drops
    CC - .2ppm 1drop
    PH - above 8
    TA - 250
    CH - Unable to produce results
    CYA - less than 30

    Where do I start? I know my ph is way high and I can basically pour a gallon a muriatic acid in every other day.
    Help.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: My first test results.

    Your TA is very high so if you keep adding acid that'll come down and after a while you won't have to use near as much acid the keep the pH down. Just keep after it and don't add anything that raises TA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,082

    Re: My first test results.

    rx,

    I always prefer to take it one step at a time starting with pH. Bring it down to 7.4 or so. Why do you think you can only use a gallon every other day? (not that you will use more (but you might)....I'm just curious)

    You'll notice your TA will drop as you lower the pH.

    It will only take a couple of doses (an hour or so) to get pH in line. Use the calculator and put in enough to get to 7.4. Assume your pH is 8.0 altho it's probably higher. You may have to dose it more than once.

    EDIT: bama and I are saying the same thing. pH and TA will move lower together when you use acid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pt. Arthur, TX
    Posts
    174

    Re: My first test results.

    Not that I'm an expert, nor do I think my case is/was typical.

    But in this thread I detail my latest adventure. My pool is only 21000 gallons & it took me 6 gallons of muriatic acid to drop my TA from 250 to 80.

    Before I added the last gallon, my TA was 110. PH was still greater than 8. Even though I was testing as much as 3 times a day, I never saw the PH below 8.

    I'm just saying.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: My first test results.

    I meant once my PH is in range it is taking a gallon every other day to keep it there. I don't know. I didn't think I should expect to put 15 gallons a month of acid in my pool.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  6. Back To Top    #6
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: My first test results.

    Your PH is increasing rapidly because of your high TA. It can take quite a bit of acid to lower TA. One important question is how TA got that high. If you have high TA fill water, TA will tend to go up any time you top off the pool, so you may continue to need lots of acid. In the more common case, where fill water TA is low, then once you get the TA down it will stay down and you won't need to use so much acid anymore.

    One other thing to keep in mind, is that fresh plaster tends to raise the PH, TA, and CH levels very rapidly for the first month or so, and more slowly for up to a year.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: My first test results.

    My pool is 3 years old. I thought putting tons of acid in at once was a bad idea. I have put 2 gallons in at once in the morning and 1 in the evening before. Is it ok to put 6 gallons in at once? Of course only if it is needed.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: My first test results.

    Quote Originally Posted by rxman
    My pool is 3 years old. I thought putting tons of acid in at once was a bad idea. I have put 2 gallons in at once in the morning and 1 in the evening before. Is it ok to put 6 gallons in at once? Of course only if it is needed.
    No, 6 gallons is too much all at one time. Use the pool calculator to calculate how much acid will be needed to lower your pH to no lower than 7.2.

    How is your TA so high after adding so much acid?
    What is the TA of your tap water?
    Do you get a lot of aeration?
    Are you adding baking soda?
    Do you have an automatic fill line?
    Why can't you get a calcium result?
    What is the calcium level of your tap water?

    Your 2 HP pump is way too big for your filter and your pool. You could easily go to a 3/4 hp pump.

    You should double check your calcium result by doing this:

    1) Add 5 drops of reagent R-0012 and swirl to mix
    2) Add 20 drops of reagent R-0010 and swirl to mix
    3) Add 5 drops of R-0011 and swirl to mix
    4) Add reagent R-0012 drop-by-drop, swirling and mixing between each drop until the color changes from red to blue.
    5) Add the initial 5 drops of R-0012 to the number of drops of R-0012 needed in step 4 to get the total number of drops of R-0012 needed to change the color from red to blue.
    6) Multiply the total number of drops of R-0012 by 10 to get your calcium result.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: My first test results.

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Quote Originally Posted by rxman
    My pool is 3 years old. I thought putting tons of acid in at once was a bad idea. I have put 2 gallons in at once in the morning and 1 in the evening before. Is it ok to put 6 gallons in at once? Of course only if it is needed.
    No, 6 gallons is too much all at one time. Use the pool calculator to calculate how much acid will be needed to lower your pH to no lower than 7.2.

    How is your TA so high after adding so much acid?
    What is the TA of your tap water?
    Do you get a lot of aeration?
    Are you adding baking soda?
    Do you have an automatic fill line?
    Why can't you get a calcium result?
    What is the calcium level of your tap water?

    Your 2 HP pump is way too big for your filter and your pool. You could easily go to a 3/4 hp pump.

    You should double check your calcium result by doing this:

    1) Add 5 drops of reagent R-0012 and swirl to mix
    2) Add 20 drops of reagent R-0010 and swirl to mix
    3) Add 5 drops of R-0011 and swirl to mix
    4) Add reagent R-0012 drop-by-drop, swirling and mixing between each drop until the color changes from red to blue.
    5) Add the initial 5 drops of R-0012 to the number of drops of R-0012 needed in step 4 to get the total number of drops of R-0012 needed to change the color from red to blue.
    6) Multiply the total number of drops of R-0012 by 10 to get your calcium result.
    I have not been consistent with adding the acid so they PH and TA swing up and down.
    The TA of my tap water is 350
    I do not get lots of aeration. I have a waterfall and bubbler but they have not been in use
    I have not added any baking soda.
    I do have an autofill
    I retested CH again (twice) and got a result of 250 for the pool water.
    Tap water CH is 275.

    My pump runs an in-floor cleaning system.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  10. Back To Top    #10
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: My first test results.

    I'll just add that acid, as much as needed to reduce PH to 7.2 will reduce TA over time. Given you have an autofill, try shutting it off to ensure you do not have a leak. I also have 300+ TA fill water and it took me about 7-8 gals in a 13k gal pool to reduce TA from 300+ to 80 over a 3 day period.

    Once my TA is at 80 or below, PH rise slows down to where I only add acid maybe once a month...I also run 50ppm Borates.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: My first test results.

    How often should I test and add the acid? I put 2 gallons in this morning. 9:00am EST.
    I have a Pentair Challenger 2 HP pump, but I've been unable to locate the flow rate.
    I'm assuming I need to let the pool turn over once before I retest and add, but I want to be as aggressive as possible in lowering the pH and TA.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  12. Back To Top    #12
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: My first test results.

    I would say a few hours is plenty of time to retest and adjust as needed.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: My first test results.

    OK. I added more acid and retested. I am now at a pH of 7.2. The TA is still at 250 though.
    What do I do now? Watch the pH rise and lower it again?
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Re: My first test results.

    Quote Originally Posted by rxman
    OK. I added more acid and retested. I am now at a pH of 7.2. The TA is still at 250 though.
    What do I do now? Watch the pH rise and lower it again?
    Yes, that is the process. Aerate to raise the pH and then add acid to lower it back to 7.2. Every time that you do this, the TA will go down some.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: My first test results.

    I think a leak combined with autofil may be the source of my problems. I posted a thread on the leak here:

    i-think-i-found-a-leak-t30455.html

    I'm going to attempt to fix this and go from there.
    1) 25,000 gallons
    2) Sand Filter 24"
    3) Inground
    4) Plaster
    5) 2 hp pump on 2'' pipe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •