Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Wiring Input

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Wiring Input

Electrician is coming over this week to check everything over, here's what I have:
    - #12 AWG from main breaker box to fuse box in garage
    - after garage fuse box all wiring is #14
    - Hayward pump specs call for 20 amp
    - #12 AWG is rated for 20 amp fuse so I should be good

Just wondering if that makes sense, thanks for any help.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Wiring Input

Not really. a single #12 will only be big enough for the pump alone (& that's not figuring voltage drop) but you are running (1) One to a fuse box that will power other stuff too. Or did I read that wrong?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What model and HP will the pump be?

Are you planning to run 120 volt or 240?

What is the distance from the main breaker to the fuse box?

What is the distance from the fuse box to the pump?

4. Back To Top    #4

Breaker box to fuse box is +- 50',
    the fuse box does have other things connected to it in addition to the (future) pump,
    distance from fuse box to pump will be +- 15'
    the pump is a Hayward Ultra Pro 1 HP, the specs don't say that it can be reconfigured to 240

Thanks!!!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

You should have a dedicated line for the pump. If you are going to have other pool equipment, you should have a dedicated sub panel for the pool equipment.

Your electrician should understand all applicable codes for wiring swimming pools.

Can you give some details about your pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

Please post back what your electrician tells you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

The model of pool were getting is either 18' or 21' round, final decision in a couple weeks but likely the 21'.

Electrician took one look at the garage set up and said there was no way the inspector would pass anything done in there, it would have to be significant upgrade of existing wire. Also, he confirmed the entire feed would need to be increased in size, so I wasn't married to that location enough to spend a couple grand.
    So, he offered a plan 'B' which was a dedicated 20 amp circuit directly from breaker, piggy back thru the air conditioning opening thru masonary and palce exterior box near the pool. All in all I'd estimate something around 20 feet of #12 cable - $500 bucks for everything.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!