Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump

I am planning on buying a new pump here in a few days and I am not sure which to get.
    I currently have 1HP Hayward Superpump. I would like to get either a 3/4 horsepower or 1/2 horsepower. Will either of be inadequate?
    I have an estimatedd 47' of head, ~20,000 gallon pool, and a Hayward Sand filter with 300 lbs sand and design flow rate of 62 gallons/minute.
    Looking at the head curve, it looks like my 1HP does about 62 GPM, while the 3/4 HP would do about 12 GPM less, and the 1/2 HP about 12GPM less than that.
    I want to make sure my filter still works fine with less GPM and thatmy kreepy krawly works as well.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pump

The 3/4 would be just about perfect with that filter flow rate.

I'm not much help on the Kreepy Krawly although I suspect you will be fine. Can you vary the amount of flow into the Kreepy?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can vary the flow into the kreepy krawly.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I can vary the flow into the kreepy krawly.
    Then that should do it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School