Solar cover in windy conditions

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Looking to purchase a solar cover for my spa, but it gets pretty windy over in my backyard. Will a solar cover just instantly blow off? And if so, any good ways of securing it so it doesn't happen? Was thinking of oversizing it and placing it around the spa with rocks weighing down the edges, but that looks pretty bad.

Oversizing it will guarantee it blows off. Undersize it so it sticks to the water. They'll seldom come loose if they are laying flat.

I don't presently have one but am strongly leaning toward getting one. One concept I had is to use it as a rain cover during hurricanes. Drop the water level to just at the bottom of the skimmer, leave the system open (eyeball is valved) and let the excess rainwater drain off through the skimmer. We typically get 8-16 inches of rain during a big storm, so it cools down, dilutes my chemistry, blows debris in, etc. My expectation is that it would stay in place until the first half inch of rain...then it certainly isn't going anywhere. Comments?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.