Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover in windy conditions

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Solar cover in windy conditions

Looking to purchase a solar cover for my spa, but it gets pretty windy over in my backyard. Will a solar cover just instantly blow off? And if so, any good ways of securing it so it doesn't happen? Was thinking of oversizing it and placing it around the spa with rocks weighing down the edges, but that looks pretty bad.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Solar cover in windy conditions

Oversizing it will guarantee it blows off. Undersize it so it sticks to the water. They'll seldom come loose if they are laying flat.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Paradise (Hampstead, NC)

Re: Solar cover in windy conditions

I don't presently have one but am strongly leaning toward getting one. One concept I had is to use it as a rain cover during hurricanes. Drop the water level to just at the bottom of the skimmer, leave the system open (eyeball is valved) and let the excess rainwater drain off through the skimmer. We typically get 8-16 inches of rain during a big storm, so it cools down, dilutes my chemistry, blows debris in, etc. My expectation is that it would stay in place until the first half inch of rain...then it certainly isn't going anywhere. Comments?
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100