Jewish clensing pool

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Hi all, I mean no offense by naming a religion in the subject line, but I don't know what else to call it. The 'pool' is 11' X11' and ~4' deep, entirely tiled. The pool is intended to be filled by rain water. The operator has requested bromine, and I'm not that 'good' with my bromine chemistry. We figure that the 'pool' holds ~ 3500 gal. The pool needs to be emptied every month and refilled (it's a difficult thing right now since we've only gotten ~ 1.5" of rain this month) They have a 'bubbler' filter (think fishtank filter), and I know nothing about them :?

Also, the pH is over 8.2, but I don't think too much higher, the TA is 60 and the CH is 80, the water temp is ~103 --- my 'watergram' tells me that the water is 'ballanced', but the levels are lower than 'the experts' say to keep the pool at, I don't want to tell them to add ~12 lbs calcium and 5 lbs of baking soda every month when they have to drain the pool and refill.

Does anyone have any practical knowledge of these pools? We are waiting til monday to add anything, because there may be some chems that aren't kosher. I am hoping that someone may be able to 'fill me in' on these type pools and what is acceptable to use with them.

Also, is having balanced water below the 'normal/ suggested' levels OK?

Thank- you anyone who can give some input!

In many ways that would be like using bromine in a plaster hot tub.

If they are intentionally keeping the PH high then the CH level would need to be brought down from "normal" levels to compensate. In a regular hot tub lower CH levels could cause foaming, but if they don't have spa jets then that might not be a problem.

I know there are all kinds of special rules about how you get the water for such a pool. I would expect that there are rules about what you can add to the water as well. Jewish people tend to write things down, presumably there is some kind of procedures manual available.

Thank you Jason! I don't ever want to do something that would violate another person's religion, so I'm asking here ( the guy we are working with is going to a similar pool in NYC and will ask some questions - but I told him I'd research 'on-line') Again, thank you! :-D

Waste-I hope this helps!

The mikveh must comply with a number of precise halakhic [Jewish legal] qualifications. The mikveh must be built into the ground or the structure of the building. It must hold a minimum of 24 cubic feet of water--200 gallons. The depth must be such as to enable an average adult to stand upright and have the water reach at least 11 inches above the waist, so that immersion can be performed without backbreaking contortions.

The water must originally have been transported to the mikveh in a manner resembling the natural flow of waters. The general practice is to build cement channels at the sides of the mikveh roof, which will enable rainwater to flow directly into the mikveh. Done right the first time, with the required initial amount of water, other piped waters may be added later in whatever quantities and at any time, and the mikveh will still retain its religious validity.

The waters must be stationary and not flow (not even the flow caused by a filter) while the mikveh is in use. The water, by all means, should be chlorinated to assure its meeting the highest standards of hygienic cleanliness. (While the chlorinated water may be somewhat discolored, it does have to retain natural water color.)

Water deriving from a natural spring is considered a valid mikveh if it complies with halakhic conditions. Also quite proper is immersing in the ocean, where there is no mikveh available, given the satisfaction of certain halakhic conditions

Cary and Max, shalom and thank you!! :-D As I said, I don't want to inadvertently violate something sacred to another person!! I want this to be like any other pool I work on, keep it sanitary and oblige the owners needs and requirements.

I've printed out some info that Ivyleager directed me to, thanks again! :goodjob:

Glad to help. I see you are located in CT. Plenty of mikvah's up there. I've included a link for a directory listing. I'm sure you can call upon one of the many in the CT area that would assist you. Rabbi's love to talk!

http://www.ou.org/services/mikvah/

CaryB

PS. If anyone enjoys murder-mysteries, a neat book explaining mikvah's and Orthodoxy is The Ritual Bath, by Faye Kellerman. She's the wife of author Jonathan Kellerman. OR, check out an old, relatively unknown Renee Zellweger film A Price Above Rubies. If I remember correctly she plays the wife of a young Rabbi who questions her faith/path in life. Great scene of a full scale mikvah/spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.