Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Bubbles coming from returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Bubbles coming from returns

I have always worked under the assumption when dealing with pool plumbing issues that water leaks are pressure side and air leaks are suction side IE water leaks after the pump and air leaks are before the pump with a properly functioning active pump. Hoping this logic is correct due to the pump's roll in pool plumbing by pulling water from the pool, the only other thing then water could be air/dirt being brought in and after the pump due to pressure only filtered water would leak out.

So I have large air bubbles coming from all three pool returns. I replaced the gasket on my pump filter basket and tested to be sure no air was entering the lid. I no longer have large air bubbles but I do still have a very small drizzle of air bubbles coming from the returns.

A fellow pool owner suggested it might be my multi-port spider gasket on my filter. Would this not be pressure side IE a water leak since it is after the pump and under pressure not suction? If the spider gasket was leaking would it not be water that was leaking to waste, rinse, etc?

Suggestions for tiny air bubbles in the returns?
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Air Bubbles coming from returns

You are correct, the multiport is on the discharge side of the pump and any leakage will be outflowing (i.e. Water leaking out).

As for your air bubbles, have you checked and resealed the pump strainer basket drain plug? that will cause a little air to be pulled in. Also, you could have a small suction side leak somewhere.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Air Bubbles coming from returns

There have been some cases reported where the spider gasket leaks but only when the pump is off and during this time air is siphoned into the filter. When the pump is turned on, the spider gasket reseals due to the pressure so water does not leak out. However, this is not a constant air stream but would only occur until the filter is purged of air. So if the air stops comming out of the return after some time, then it could be the spider gasket but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

Also, do you have solar?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner