Pump Priming Time and the Main Bearing

Apr 18, 2010
It takes about 35 seconds for my pump to prime after cleaning out the basket. I was told that this was excessive and would destroy the main bearing after a while. I tried pouring a 5 gallon bucket of water into the basket before putting the lid back on and priming but it doesn't reduce the time-to-prime. Is it true that the 35 second priming time is damaging the pump main bearing? And if so, is there a way to reduce the priming time?

harrisjc said:
So, would you say that 35 second priming time will damage the seal? Is there something I can do to reduce this priming time?
My pump takes anywhere from 20-30 seconds also, 6 years old just broke it down to replace the seals. Shaft seal wasn't leaking and had some wear but I think it was about normal for it's age. Front end of the motor was corroding big time though! Salt has taken it's toll! I think if I get another year out of it I'll be lucky! That's going to be the reason for my bearing failure! Good excuse for a more energy efficent pump! I've primed with a bucket before but it doesn't speed it up anymore in my case. I just crack open the bleeder on the filter and cover and uncover with my finger until it jump starts the flow. Usually 10-15 seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.