Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Priming Time and the Main Bearing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Priming Time and the Main Bearing

It takes about 35 seconds for my pump to prime after cleaning out the basket. I was told that this was excessive and would destroy the main bearing after a while. I tried pouring a 5 gallon bucket of water into the basket before putting the lid back on and priming but it doesn't reduce the time-to-prime. Is it true that the 35 second priming time is damaging the pump main bearing? And if so, is there a way to reduce the priming time?
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Priming Time and the Main Bearing

35 seconds will not harm the pump. The bearings are not at risk, the seal is what would be damaged from running dry too long.

3. Back To Top    #3

So, would you say that 35 second priming time will damage the seal? Is there something I can do to reduce this priming time?
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

35 seconds will not cause any damage to the seal. As long as you can see water going into the basket within a few minutes, then the pump will not be harmed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by harrisjc
    So, would you say that 35 second priming time will damage the seal? Is there something I can do to reduce this priming time?
    My pump takes anywhere from 20-30 seconds also, 6 years old just broke it down to replace the seals. Shaft seal wasn't leaking and had some wear but I think it was about normal for it's age. Front end of the motor was corroding big time though! Salt has taken it's toll! I think if I get another year out of it I'll be lucky! That's going to be the reason for my bearing failure! Good excuse for a more energy efficent pump! I've primed with a bucket before but it doesn't speed it up anymore in my case. I just crack open the bleeder on the filter and cover and uncover with my finger until it jump starts the flow. Usually 10-15 seconds.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,