Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool - low flow on filter/pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool - low flow on filter/pump

Opened the pool this evening and it didn't go so well. When I tried backwashing the filter, the flow out was very low. I then switched it to "waste", same thing. Back to backwashing and finally got a good flow out. Moved it to filter and it didn't seem to be pulling much water. I am not sure what is going on here. After fooling around some more, I moved it back to backwash and then there was low flow again. Is this a pump problem, a filter problem? How can I troubleshoot it? The filter is older, with sand that is 4 - 5 seasons old. Pump is about 4 years old...

Thanks for any direction here!

Michiele
    25,000 gallon inground, vinyl lined pool, sand filter
    5 year pool owner
    Michiele
    Newbie pool owner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool - low flow on filter/pump

Check and make sure the water level is at least 1/2 way up the skimmer.
    Open up the valve and check the spider gasket.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also in addition to what Zea said, check and clean the skimmer and pump strainer baskets. Check to make sure one of the valves in the plumbing isn't parftially closed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Both strainer baskets are empty. Since I was opening the pool, the baskets were in the house - all clean. Opened both plumbing values as well. Took off all the plugs to the return and suction sides... This morning I fooled with the filter some more and I think it might be what Zea said - the spider gasket. It is like roulette, as far as whether it will do what it is suppose to do. At this point, I finally got it filtering like I need. I am going to leave it like that and then look into replacing that spider gasket sometime this week. Hopefully, this will work for me Pool is a swamp right now so I really want to keep it filtering so I can clean it up.
    Michiele
    Newbie pool owner