Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor tabs lose CYA effectiveness?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor tabs lose CYA effectiveness?

My parents have religiously used tabs through the years. I warned them about overstabilizing, but imagine my shock when CYA tested very low (20). Yes, there is significant dilution because of backwashing (sand filter) and fill-ups (evaporation), but if I was going to place a bet on their CYA level, I would have guessed closer to 100.

So, now I'm trying to raise CYA (carefully so as to not overdo it). Naturally, I would think the pucks would do it - but it's been 2 weeks and it's still in that 20 range. Is there anything that would make 3" trichlor tabs lose their effectiveness as CYA source? The only other possibility is that I'm adding it so slowly that it's really not registering. They do have about ½ gallon of liquid conditioner (>1 year old) that should in theory raise CYA by 15 ppm.

Funny thing is that their HOCl usage is about the same as mine: both of us are using 2½ gallons/week - me with 15K gallons/70 CYA/50 borates and them with 14K gallons and the aforementioned 20 CYA (I just added borates, so I'm discounting that). We're both in similar sun situtations (high - though mine may get an extra hour than they do due to shading). I would have thought they'd consume more.

Thoughts?
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor tabs lose CYA effectiveness?

Most likely they lost all of their CYA over the winter, which happens often enough (just not when you want it to).

Since they are using trichlor, I would leave CYA alone. Give yourself as much headroom as you can get to allow CYA to rise.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My CYA dropped from 50 to between 20ish over the winter but I didn't close it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

How are you testing that CYA? I found that strips told me CYA = 20 when it was actually more like 40.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

In my 18K gallon pool, each 8-oz tab works out to about 3ppm FC and 2ppm CYA--it would take about 10 tabs to raise CYA by 20. Tab consumption in my pool right now is less than 1.5 per week so it will be a couple months to bring up my CYA that way.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    In my 18K gallon pool, each 8-oz tab works out to about 3ppm FC and 2ppm CYA--it would take about 10 tabs to raise CYA by 20. Tab consumption in my pool right now is less than 1.5 per week so it will be a couple months to bring up my CYA that way.
    --paulr
    So if you are only adding 4.5ppm of FC to your pool per week what are level are you maintaining FC at?

Or do you mean that an 8-oz tab supplies 3ppm of FC a day for 4 days?
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool calculator tells me 8 oz trichlor is worth what I said, when it has completely dissolved. I loaded 4 tabs in the floater a month ago, have put 2 more in since, and they're not all gone yet, so the floater is contributing < 1.5 tabs per week. I'm still using some bleach to keep FC in range, the tabs alone in my dinky floater aren't enough.

But the main point of my post was: Patience. Two weeks of tab use isn't enough to show a difference in CYA.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

Using 2.5 gals/wk liquid HOCl in addition to the tabs. Not concerned about a slow rise, more like surprise that continuous puck use like they have been doing would not have CYA>100.

BTW, not using strips but the dot test.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011