Stick with Pentair automation if I already own a VS-3050?

Oct 11, 2007
I own a VS-3050 and would like to add automation to my pool. Since I already have the variable speed pump, and want to make use of the variable speeds in my system's programming, does it make sense to stick with automation from Pentair (I'm thinking Easy Touch 4), as they can talk directly to the pump over the serial cable? Otherwise I have to add an Intellicomm for a few hundred dollars, and consume a relay or two of the automation system to control the pump's speed, correct?

Re: Stick with Pentair automation if I already own a VS-3050

Works just fine on a Jandy Aqualink over RS485 if you have modern firmware:

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

Yes, there are significant advantages to sticking with Pentair automation when you have an IntelliFlo pump. The Pentair automation systems allow you to easily control the pump speed. Doing that with non-Pentair automation requires extra equipment and is generally more complex.

JasonLion said:
Yes, there are significant advantages to sticking with Pentair automation when you have an IntelliFlo pump. The Pentair automation systems allow you to easily control the pump speed. Doing that with non-Pentair automation requires extra equipment and is generally more complex.

Jason, I don't think that's the case with the Aqualink. I installed and setup the pump interface, it was very easy and immediately recognized by the Aqualink. Pretty much plug and play. The cable required (RS485) came in the box.

Now as to their being other benefits of pentair automation...that I have no experience with.

Here's my take on sticking with one mfg for your components, having dealt with it in industry for many years.
If everything works smoothly there is no issue, but if you have a problem then each mfg blames the other for the problem and you're the one going round and round till they finally figure it out. If there's just one mfg then there's nobody else to blame.

Also, there are things that Pentair controls can do with Pentair devices that they woun't allow other mfg's to do. And it's the same with lots of other mfg's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.