Safe to buy a Demo Pool (from shop floor from last summer)?

Apr 22, 2011
Newbie here. Thanks for letting me join!

I think I have a great deal, but need to know if it's "safe" to do this. :)

There is a demo pool on sale at a great pool supplier. Last year's model 2010 and has been on the floor since last summer. They have to move it to put up this years model.

12 foot AG AquaLeader Creation pool
-52” Pool Wall
- New Beaded Liner
- 12” Wide Mouth Skimmer
- 19” Sand Filter
- Nature 2 Vessel & Cartridge
- 1 hp Hayward pump
- A- Frame Ladder (locks)
- Pool Light
-Solar Blanket
- Winter Cover
- Vacuum & Maintenance Package.
i.e extendable pole, hose, vac head, thermometer, brush.
- Water Care Package
- Zodiac Clearwater salt system
- Salt
- Delivery
-Installation
Sale Price- $4,000 (3300, without salt water system)

($2700 regular price for pool--50% off for the demo model, upgraded stairs)

Is that a good price? And is it "safe" to buy a pool that's been a demo pool? I saw the pool and it looks fine to me, but what do I know??? Should I just cough up for the new one at nearly 5000? Money is tight! But safety is a concern, and want to make sure ya'll think it's okay.

Thanks
Snick :)

Re: Safe to buy a Demo Pool (from shop floor from last summe

Hi, :wave:

Like woody said, is that the size you want? I don't here of many people wishing they has a smaller size pool, you just here of people wishing they had a bigger size. How many people are going to use the pool? I had a 16' x 48" last year and it was too small for just four people. Not trying to change your mind, its just that 12' pool is kinda small.

:cheers:

frustratedpoolmom said:
ha, I missed the 12 ft. That's tiny. I mean, really tiny...

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, it's a 12 foot pool and really, that's all my city lot sized back yard can take. I measured out a 15 foot, and I can't get a 4 foot clearance from my fence line.

There will be two kids in there, with two friends, at times.

Yes, the pool itself costs $1350 ish plus installation and all the gear mentioned above.

The pool has been indoors, in a heated showroom since last summer.

It will be dismantled by the pool installers at the showroom and immediately brought down to my house, to be installed by the same installers with a brand new liner.

Thoughts?

As has been mentioned this is a tiny pool, the discount does seem good, there will be some reduction on useful life of the pool/filter/pump from running the last year, but it will be a lot less than the 50% reduction in price. Pools in this size can be enjoyable as long as you have a reasonable expectation for occupancy, remember it may be possible to cram 12 people into a Volkswagon Beetle, but this does not mean it is enjoyable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate it. I ordered new fencing today, and called the pool company to book the installation. I'll let you know how it all goes.

thanks again, everyone! Happy Easter!

if installation is included that makes it a much better deal. Last year, I purchased a 24x12 AGP that was an outside demo for one season. Similar package except no SWG and I only got a solar cover but then I'm in CA. They provided a new liner since you can't reuse a liner. Pool was $5,000 without some of the add ins (pool cleaner, happy bottom, etc) and was discounted to $2,500. The price did not include installation and there were some hitches in installing because it was used but nothing major and no complaints and I certainly don't think anything was degraded as a result of one year.

I did buy a 1hp 2 speed pump this year to replace the 1.5 hp that came with it. Also chunked the nature2 system.

Sportsman said:
if installation is included that makes it a much better deal. Last year, I purchased a 24x12 AGP that was an outside demo for one season. Similar package except no SWG and I only got a solar cover but then I'm in CA. They provided a new liner since you can't reuse a liner. Pool was $5,000 without some of the add ins (pool cleaner, happy bottom, etc) and was discounted to $2,500. The price did not include installation and there were some hitches in installing because it was used but nothing major and no complaints and I certainly don't think anything was degraded as a result of one year.

I did buy a 1hp 2 speed pump this year to replace the 1.5 hp that came with it. Also chunked the nature2 system.

Yep, 4000.00 (taxes inc-huge here!!!) all in. Once I figure a number of things out (like, oh, a million! :) ), I'll chuck the nature2 system too. :lol:

Without the SWG, it would have been 3300.00 all in, but I really wanted the salt system!!

Can't wait!! And funnily enough, lots of people are suddenly interested in my new home improvement project!! :party:

You will find lots of new friends when you have a pool! We had ours up last season and it got a lot of use... more than we expected. We just got the pool open and warm enough to swim early this week and already people are calling/texting about what are we doing today w/the implication that they'd like to swim.

You will be grateful you got the saltwater system! I love mine. I don't know what kind you're getting, but if it's one of the newer models of the Intex do be aware that it uses copper for algae prevention... copper is the reason people's hair turns green :shock: If that is the model there are a few people on the board who have successfully disconnected the copper part of the unit and run it without. Something to investigate if you have blond haired swimmers.

Good luck w/installation & enjoy your new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.