Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to buy a Demo Pool (from shop floor from last summer)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to buy a Demo Pool (from shop floor from last summer)?

Newbie here. Thanks for letting me join!

I think I have a great deal, but need to know if it's "safe" to do this.

There is a demo pool on sale at a great pool supplier. Last year's model 2010 and has been on the floor since last summer. They have to move it to put up this years model.

12 foot AG AquaLeader Creation pool
    -52” Pool Wall
    - New Beaded Liner
    - 12” Wide Mouth Skimmer
    - 19” Sand Filter
    - Nature 2 Vessel & Cartridge
    - 1 hp Hayward pump
    - A- Frame Ladder (locks)
    - Pool Light
    -Solar Blanket
    - Winter Cover
    - Vacuum & Maintenance Package.
    i.e extendable pole, hose, vac head, thermometer, brush.
    - Water Care Package
    - Zodiac Clearwater salt system
    - Salt
    - Delivery
    -Installation
    Sale Price- $4,000 (3300, without salt water system)

($2700 regular price for pool--50% off for the demo model, upgraded stairs)

Is that a good price? And is it "safe" to buy a pool that's been a demo pool? I saw the pool and it looks fine to me, but what do I know??? Should I just cough up for the new one at nearly 5000? Money is tight! But safety is a concern, and want to make sure ya'll think it's okay.

Thanks
    Snick
    ____________________________________________________________ ________________________
    Newbie, :) 12 foot round AGP, 52 inches high, 3400 Gallons, Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Pump, Zodiac Clearwater Salt system, Taylor K-2006 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to buy a Demo Pool (from shop floor from last summe

So we're talking $1,350.00 total? Is that the size you want?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Was the pool demo'd indoors? How much time will pass between take down and re-install, and who will install?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi,

Like woody said, is that the size you want? I don't here of many people wishing they has a smaller size pool, you just here of people wishing they had a bigger size. How many people are going to use the pool? I had a 16' x 48" last year and it was too small for just four people. Not trying to change your mind, its just that 12' pool is kinda small.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

5. Back To Top    #5

ha, I missed the 12 ft. That's tiny. I mean, really tiny...
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    ha, I missed the 12 ft. That's tiny. I mean, really tiny...
    Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, it's a 12 foot pool and really, that's all my city lot sized back yard can take. I measured out a 15 foot, and I can't get a 4 foot clearance from my fence line.

There will be two kids in there, with two friends, at times.

Yes, the pool itself costs $1350 ish plus installation and all the gear mentioned above.

The pool has been indoors, in a heated showroom since last summer.

It will be dismantled by the pool installers at the showroom and immediately brought down to my house, to be installed by the same installers with a brand new liner.

Thoughts?
    Snick
    ____________________________________________________________ ________________________
    Newbie, :) 12 foot round AGP, 52 inches high, 3400 Gallons, Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Pump, Zodiac Clearwater Salt system, Taylor K-2006 kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a good deal to me. You'll want to toss/sell the nature 2.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Sounds like a good deal to me. You'll want to toss/sell the nature 2.
    How come? What's it do? (no idea!)
    thx
    Snick

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok then yes if thats the size you can handle then go for it (since it was indoors thats also a plus and a new liner to boot.
    The nature 2 is an expensive and unnecessary addition that you just really don't need. If you would like to read more about it, click on this link:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/alter...uth-t3025.html

10. Back To Top    #10

As has been mentioned this is a tiny pool, the discount does seem good, there will be some reduction on useful life of the pool/filter/pump from running the last year, but it will be a lot less than the 50% reduction in price. Pools in this size can be enjoyable as long as you have a reasonable expectation for occupancy, remember it may be possible to cram 12 people into a Volkswagon Beetle, but this does not mean it is enjoyable.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate it. I ordered new fencing today, and called the pool company to book the installation. I'll let you know how it all goes.

thanks again, everyone! Happy Easter!
    Snick

12. Back To Top    #12

if installation is included that makes it a much better deal. Last year, I purchased a 24x12 AGP that was an outside demo for one season. Similar package except no SWG and I only got a solar cover but then I'm in CA. They provided a new liner since you can't reuse a liner. Pool was $5,000 without some of the add ins (pool cleaner, happy bottom, etc) and was discounted to $2,500. The price did not include installation and there were some hitches in installing because it was used but nothing major and no complaints and I certainly don't think anything was degraded as a result of one year.

I did buy a 1hp 2 speed pump this year to replace the 1.5 hp that came with it. Also chunked the nature2 system.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    if installation is included that makes it a much better deal. Last year, I purchased a 24x12 AGP that was an outside demo for one season. Similar package except no SWG and I only got a solar cover but then I'm in CA. They provided a new liner since you can't reuse a liner. Pool was $5,000 without some of the add ins (pool cleaner, happy bottom, etc) and was discounted to $2,500. The price did not include installation and there were some hitches in installing because it was used but nothing major and no complaints and I certainly don't think anything was degraded as a result of one year.

I did buy a 1hp 2 speed pump this year to replace the 1.5 hp that came with it. Also chunked the nature2 system.
    Yep, 4000.00 (taxes inc-huge here!!!) all in. Once I figure a number of things out (like, oh, a million! ), I'll chuck the nature2 system too.

Without the SWG, it would have been 3300.00 all in, but I really wanted the salt system!!

Can't wait!! And funnily enough, lots of people are suddenly interested in my new home improvement project!!

14. Back To Top    #14

You will find lots of new friends when you have a pool! We had ours up last season and it got a lot of use... more than we expected. We just got the pool open and warm enough to swim early this week and already people are calling/texting about what are we doing today w/the implication that they'd like to swim.

You will be grateful you got the saltwater system! I love mine. I don't know what kind you're getting, but if it's one of the newer models of the Intex do be aware that it uses copper for algae prevention... copper is the reason people's hair turns green If that is the model there are a few people on the board who have successfully disconnected the copper part of the unit and run it without. Something to investigate if you have blond haired swimmers.

Good luck w/installation & enjoy your new pool!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits