Decided to take care of the yellow/brown stains

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been brushing at least once a day (twice today) and we have a pretty simple pool setup with no ladder or rock areas. It's basically a big rectangle with attached spa and spill plus a splash pad.

If it wasn't for the high CC I would be tempted to let the FC come down and see if I could hold it during the day with my SWG.

I think I am going to call it a day and stop adding bleach. Then I'll do one more check after dark (in an hour) and report back in the morning with my overnight FC loss results. Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for results.

Ok. Overnight FC Loss Test Results Are In...

Tested at 12:40AM: FC 18.0 ppm and CC 1 ppm
Tested at 7:00 AM: FC 18.0 ppm and CC at 1 ppm

Success?!?! I plan to keep my FC around 18 today to see if I can get the CC down to 0.5 or less. I am running really low on 0851 solution so I have to hit up the pool store to keep the testing going.

Any suggestions?

Good, that is much better.

My guess is that something was getting broken down by chlorine yesterday and creating CC about as fast as it was breaking down. If, as the overnight test indicates, there isn't anything left for the chlorine to break down, the CC production rate should be way down and todays sunlight should finally catch up on getting rid of the CC.

Awesome! I used up the last of my solution just now and FC holding at 18 ppm. Had to do the half volume test method so CC is definitely one or less. Will hit the pool store this afternoon and cross my fingers.

Thanks all for your help so far!

hi there Texas Spartan. I am in Houston as well and I have had problems this spring with iron staining (or so it seems from reading here). Jason advised me to check with a vitamin C tablet and see if it is indeed iron staining. if it is, i guess i have to follow the same steps you did to remove it. in my case, the stains are just at the bottom of the pool and in no other place (not on plastic or anywhere else).

if you got any advice, i would love to hear it.

Sorry for the delay... I have been in Europe for the last two weeks.

So my FC and TC #s are back in control at 2.5 and 0.5 ppm. This is normal for my SWG so we are in good shape. Now I have to get back at the stains.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Michmike - Any time I have small brown or blackish organic stains on the bottom of the pool that brushing doesn't remove and my plastic components (like my automatic pool cleaning robot, outlet nozzles, skimmer baskets, and drain covers) turn yellowish brown I have been able to eliminate them with Ascorbic Acid (a.k.a. Vitamin C). I get the AA at Warehouse Pools for about $50 per lb and 0.5 to 1lb is all you need to add. If you follow the Ascorbic Acid treatment steps in the Pool School you will get some good results. The key is to take your FC to 1 or lower otherwise the AA will react with that first before the stains. Once I add the AA the stains leave in about 30 minutes. Then you have to bring the FC back up slow. That's where I got in trouble this year. I had high TC and so when I dropped my FC for the AA treatment the algae bloomed and I had to shock the pool, which turned my plastic yellow...a viscious cycle.

By the way I have some scaling from letting my ph stay too high this winter which has taken on a slightly offwhite coloring. I am keeping my ph low and brushing until it goes away. Other than that I have never had a stain that AA didn't eliminate. We even had our roof redone after a hail storm and the roofers dropped nails in the pool that stained the plaster. AA took it right off - no scrubbing, brushing, nothing but adding it in a filtering. Make sure you turn off your SWG though while you wait for the AA to work. I have done it in the past and once the stain leave I just turn the SWG back on and within a day the FC level is holding.

Hope that helps.

hey Texas, since you are going through a lot of AA, it might be worth it ordering it online. i got it for about $8/lb, but have not had a chance to do the treatment yet. i will do that next saturday after i add borates (through borax) so that i can also take advatange of its algaestatic properties.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.