I am new to the forum but have been visiting a lot. Great help!
I have an 11,000k white plaster salt pool in Houston that is coming up on 3 years old. It has been easy to maintain except this spring. I have trouble with free chlorine and stains. Chlorine Generator is working fine...I had it tested by two equipment guys and it is at 97% with proper drop across the cell.
Here are the latest pool store tests from this morning..I have ordered Taylor kit but don't have it yet.
This CL level was after a 1lb shock last night since it said 0 chlorine at the store last night. I have had high usage with relatives in town and have had to add water to refill each day.
I have calcium deposits in some spots that are slowing coming off with brushing as I keep ph at ~7 +/- 0.2 due to mismanagement this winter of ph and chlorine with freezing temps.
So this morning after getting the test results I decided to take care of the yellow/brown stains on my plastic nozzles and pool cleaner and some brown stains on the plaster.
Here is what I did...
1) Turned SWG output level to 0% (Aguarite)
2) Added 1-2 oz on Chlorine Neutralizer to bring FC to close to 0
3) Added ~80ox of liquid conditioner to bring up CYA level
4) Added 2lb of ascorbic acid powder
5) Added 32 oz of Metal Hold once stains were gone
4) Added a little algeacide
The stains disappeared within 2 minutes. I cannot bypass my filter and have been running it for 3 hours now. Plan to run it 24/7 until tomorrow 10Am when I plan to start to raise the chlorine.
I have the guide posted here but it says just to "start to raise chlorine slowly." I know I need to add a ton of chlorine and plan to use 6% chlorine bleach, unscented slowly and add meatl hold if stains start to come back.
So I have 4 questions.
1) With a SWG should I turn it on now or wait? How long?
2) Should I set it to superchlorinate or just pick a good % to get it generating again?
3) Is there a way to calculate how much bleach I will need to add to get my FC back to 3 ppm? Going from 1.5 FC, adding 2 oz CL neutralizer followed by 2 lbs of Ascorbic Acid in 11k gallons should be a math equation easy to solve. I just can't find that equation.
4) When should I trun back on my SWG and start to raise the FC.
I'd like to be swimming on Sunday with family.
Thanks for the help.