Thread: solar heat

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaQuik SolarPRO solar collectors

here is a link to what i am having installed this spring
    if spring ever arrives

http://www.wsetech.com/poolheaters.php

2. Back To Top    #2

solar heat

i am having solar pannels insyalled this spring if the weather evey co-operates
    any reviews on this product i am getting
    WSE 47 solar panels

http://www.wsetech.com/poolheaters.php

thanks
    greg c.

Threads merged - MITS

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: AquaQuik SolarPRO solar collectors

greg, are you already locked in to purchase those collectors? If not, I would reconsider. The standard black mats are nearly 100% efficient and much cheaper than the tubes.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: solar heat

According to the web site, the panels are approx 25 sq. ft. (56.5" x 64") and produce 20,000 BTU per day. That equates to 800 BTU/sqft-day, which is on the low end of the black tube panels which average about 1000 BTU/sqft-day per Florida Solar Energy Center testing http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/certificatio ... /index.htm

Unfortunately, these panels have not been tested by FSEC.

What are the costs of these panels compared to the flat plastic tube ones? They do have a good warranty at 15 years.

I have cheap FAFCO panels and am on my 3rd year of using them and love them. No leaks yet. Easy to repair if one of the tubes should leak. Light weight and easily installed - if you get someone to help. I bought mine off the internet for about $350 for 160 square feet. Plus another $250 in PVC and a valve and I spent less than $600. I really should have double the sq. ft., but I don't have room and use it mostly just to heat my hot tub.

I love this quote on the WSE web site: "Picture #1 is a picture of the Costco solar heater I purchased last spring, it worked great as long as the sun was out."

Reminds me of some friends that were swimming in our pool at NIGHT and remarked how warm the water was and I told them about the solar panels. They asked, "Are they on right now?"
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

unfortuanatly locked in
    i got them for the same price as the mats here in ontario,canada

mats run like 375.oo plus 13% tax

had a friend that got the mats and even though he blew the lines out the rubber split

6. Back To Top    #6

If the mats split, he didn't get all the water out. If installed correctly, they should drain completely whenever the pump is off, so they wouldn't even require any blowing out before winter.

Please let us know how these collectors work for you! To my knowledge, nobody on the forum has actually installed them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP greg! Hope you get to enjoy solar-enhanced water very soon.
    16x32x4.5 AG Doughboy -- 14,000 gal according to pool store
    Hayward equipment -- 1.5 HP pump, 20 GPM/FT2 sand filter, & chlorine feeder (light feeder use to avoid CYA build-up)
    Testing equipment -- TFTestKit Guidelines for treating water -- The Pool Calculator
    Thanks for everything TROUBLE FREE POOL!!!
    :goodjob:

8. Back To Top    #8

sure will hopefully the weather turns arround so i can get things up and running soon

9. Back To Top    #9

hi all
    wse47 panels installed for 2 weeks but the weather was cold and wet and cloudy had the first week lost had it up to 70 than the temp changed
    note found out i should have bypassed the solar went from 70 on may 14 to 54 on may 15
    finally the weather is cooporating sun is out for the first time in a week
    have the flow to them dialed in that was tricky
    sat may 21 @7 am the pool was 64 deg f @ 6 pm 69 f it was a sunny 76 deg f day

sun may 22 7 am 67 deg f 6 pm 71 deg f it was a sunny 75 deg f day quite breezy

so it looks like i am getting a 5 degree rise in temp every 7 hrs of sun on the solar unit

pool is a 18 ft agp

10. Back To Top    #10

just checked the temp air temp at 5 am was 54 pool 70
    6 am air temp 63 pool 70 solar blankets do work to keep heat in
    which leads to a question
    on sunny days do you leave the blanket on or take it off

i am located in southern ontario canada

11. Back To Top    #11

I leave mine on unless we're swimming. What color and kind is your cover? I think that will determine whether you should take it off or leave it on during the sunlight hours.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

light blue

13. Back To Top    #13

That's one of those 'hard to say' colors. I'd probably take it off during the day if it isn't too much trouble.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

update to wse40 solar heat

have had the 2 wse40 panels for our 18ft 54 in pool installed for 3 weeks now. also using solar blanket to keep heat in
    last week we had 3 full days of sun temp reached 78 deg f.
    this week day time temp was all over from 54 f to 70f with lots of rain not much sun nite time was even worse with lows 0f 50f
    the good news is the temp in the pool held 70f which is good with the lack of sun and low day and nite temp
    i have been running the pool pump that feeds the solar unit also between 5-7 hrs daily
    more 5hrs this week due to lack of sun.
    started this new post becuz my other post temp readings were wrong found theometer was reading 6 f low (thanks to my neib)
    here in southwestern ontario,canada we are going to have a 3 day heat wave starting sun with temp hitting 86f by tues
    this will be a great test to see how fast the temp will rise in the pool from its present temp
    will post morning and evening temps daily starting on sat would do todays but it is pouring rain again

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: update to wse40 solar heat

rain stopped pool is 67f @ 6:25 am air temp 54f

16. Back To Top    #16

opps guess i should not post that early in the morning the panels are wse 47
    4 pm pool is 68f air 60f
    so even though there was no sun just rain there was some some heat being generated in these panels

17. Back To Top    #17

may 30 air temp 86 pool 72f at 6 am 80f at 4 pm

18. Back To Top    #18

may 31 air 88f pool made it 86f from 78f and still a few adjustents too be made installer waiting for part
    this morning june 1 air 75 pool is at 82f the solar panels seem to be working

19. Back To Top    #19

Seems like it's working pretty well...thanks for updating us!

20. Back To Top    #20

working great temp here made a big drop air 60f pool went from 80f at 6am to 83 at 5 pm
    tonite and toworrow will be the big test dropping to 46f tonite calling for a high of 75f fri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast