New to the pool world...new build...sound okay?? HELP!

Apr 21, 2011
Oklahoma
First off, thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum. I've taken my knowledge from zero to "some" by spending countless hours on here the last couple of weeks. Thanks!

So here is what I'm doing/thinking.

Free form pool 36 x 18
7.5' inside diameter spa with a rock water fall out of the spa and into the pool

18" stack stone raised wall (straight) on the backside of the pool (have a utility easement and back of pool needs to be straight to maximize space. I will have 3 water features (falls) coming off of this raised well. They will be moss rock.
Play pool 3 to 6 and then back to 3
Diamond Brite plaster
2 Pentair inellflows 2 hp (VF Model)
3/4 HP Pentair for creepy krauly
Pentair master temp 400BTU lo nox heater
Aqualogic ps-8 system
Pentair salt water system
Cartridge filter 420
2 bubblers on the tanning shelf
1 LED Pool light
1 LED Spa lights
2 small LED light on the tanning decks (I have 2 tanning decks)
3 small LED lights for the water falls which will shoot up and not provide any light to the pool
Gunite
oversized equipment pad for ease of use later in my life replacing pumps/parts

The hot tub and water features will run off one pump and the pool off the other.
2" PVC

The run from my pool equipment to the middle of the pool is about 70 feet and elevated about a foot above the pool.

Does this sound reasonable? I've read some things about parts of the pool pipe being 2.5" PVS (return on the spa?) and I'm scared to death my spa wont have jets that fire a lot of water. I want pressure, a spa, not a bath. My PB says it will have plenty of movement and he's using waterway 2" manifold jets, whatever that means? I've also requested he limit the number of 90 degree turns w/PVC and use 45's instead. I read this might help the efficiency of the pool?

Here is the kicker....

This pool builder has been in the plaster, tile and coaping (spelling?) business for many years (He does excellent work) but recently gotten into building a full pool. I spoke to a family who he build a pool for last year and they had zero complaints. I'm only using him because I have 2 good friends who I can lean on for advice. The first is an engineer. The second runs a gunite company and is very knowledgable about pool and pool construction. He has also seen his work and says it looks great.

I think the high efficiency equipment I've negotiated sounds right (feedback welcome). My concern is around plumbing. What do I need to reguest, what do I need to watch, anyone make mistakes during their build and wish they did things different?

What am I missing here? Sorry for the rambling questions, my head is spinning and I'm 100% pool virgin! :)

Welcome to TFP!
One thing that jumps out to me is that you don't need a 3/4 hp booster pump for a kreepy krawly. I think you mean a polaris or something similar? If I were building a pool I would get a cleaner that can run off the pressure side of your VF, like "The Pool Cleaner".

I think a VF will have more than enough power for spa jets. You'll want to know the GPM that the jets he's planning on using require, and add all those up to see how it looks. You may need larger pipes for the spa, if you have a lot of jets. Using two 45s rather than a 90 isn't any better; you just want to have the fewest numbers of elbows you can.

Where are you located? If electricity is pretty cheap where you live, using a 2-speed 1 hp pump for the main pool and say, a 2 hp spa pump may be a good idea. Unless your rates are high, the extra cost in having a variable-speed pump isn't really worth it. Even if you do go variable, the VS is a lot cheaper than the VF and would work just fine for what you need.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being new to the pool business. From what I've seen on this site, most pool build problems arise from a builder being too busy, trying to work too fast and screwing stuff up, and not communicating with the client. I think a small-time guy like this would be better in this regard, but really the references are all you have to go on.

Oklahoma BTW...sorry!

Just because energy is "cheap" (if that's possible) I don't want to waste any because it won't get any cheaper in the future!

They are coming out to move a tree today and will start digging Saturday or Monday, will know when they get here today. Excited!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.