Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Booster Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Booster Pump

Our other house's booster pump wouldnt run unless the main pump was on. We were told never to run the booster w/o the main pump on.

Our new house will let the booster pump run w/o the main being on. I realize its a timer wiring fix, but-- the question is do I need to worry about this ?

- Reji

2. Back To Top    #2
    Katy, TX
    My assumption is that the main pump "supplies" water to the booster, so I think the main pump should be on. Someone with better knowledge will hopefully answer soon.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    If the booster pump is pulling water from the return line, which they almost always do, then you always want the main pump on when the booster pump is on. If you aren't sure where it draws water, then assume that the main pump needs to be on.

Often it is cheaper to wire things so that the two pumps are controlled separately and just assume that the user will know not to run the booster pump unless the main pump is also on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School