Salt level accuracy: New SWG or strips?

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
New IG pool installed last fall(see sig for details). PB opened the pool and started up the system for the 1st time this week. Salt was added, but not sure as to how much. After letting the water circulate for a couple days I used the salt test strips I ordered with my TF-100 and got a reading of 3950ppm. My SWG is reading 2800. Display says chlorinator is off due to low temp. Water = 48 degrees. PB says the strips are wildly inaccurate and I should trust the SWG reading. So depending on which reading I go with, I am either high or low :?

The water is too cold. Dont worry too much about it. And yes, i've never had luck with the strips. They always read high, at least for me. Once the water warms up, the salt reading on the panel will go up; it's temp dependent.
Once the water hits the upper 60's it will work itself out.

Thanks for the replies.

I realize the temp of the water is too low for unit to generate chlorine, but do I need to add more salt? Sounds like I should wait untill the water temp rises as the salt concentration will rise as well.

Also, its strange that unit will only display the salt level as it scrolls through its current readings(air/water temp, date/time, chlorinator %age etc) when I put the pump on high speed. Will the cell will be able to produce chlorine on low speed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.