Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Pumps and BTU's

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Pumps and BTU's

There are several sized heat pumps with different BTU's. If a heat pump should run 24/7 to keep temp to where you want it how does one pick a heat pump for their size pool? I mean how do we decide what BTU's to go with? seems once the pump gets the temp to where you want it and you run the system 24/7 could we use a heat pump with less BTU's?

I've been installing 140,000 btu heat pros but they are huge. could we get by with a smaller unit running 24/7? we use tristar pumps to run 24/7.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Pumps and BTU's

It depends quite a bit on your climate. Heat pups are much more efficient when the temperature is warmer, so it is generally best to run them during the day and much less efficient to run them at night. Just how much of an effect that is depends on where you are and what time of year it is.

Also, when you are warming up the pool from cold, it is nice to have as many BTUs as you can possibly get.

Jason
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It depends quite a bit on your climate. Heat pups are much more efficient when the temperature is warmer, so it is generally best to run them during the day and much less efficient to run them at night. Just how much of an effect that is depends on where you are and what time of year it is.

Also, when you are warming up the pool from cold, it is nice to have as many BTUs as you can possibly get.

Jason
    Thanks Jason. yes I figured more the better thats why I played it safe and went with the 140K btu heat pro. owner is very happy. still running it even though our temp in daytime is 84F! it doesnt work hard right now but when winter comes round it will work more. we can get down to 70F maybe lower would have to check my service logs. not so low that SWG's cuts off. found out we need to run the heat pump 24/7 as it takes forever to heat up the pool so we are recommend switching to variable speed pump the same time and running the system 24/7. working out great and the tristar is such an awesome pump. just was wondering how low in BTU's we could get away with.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    . just was wondering how low in BTU's we could get away with.
    Aquacal has the best sizing software.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by racket
    Thanks racket. will check that out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by racket
    +2
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build