Replacing Inground Pool light niche/Fixture

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
I pulled my pool light out, thinking I only needed to replace the bulb. Once I inspected it, I noticed that the black coating in the base of it where the bulb gets screwed in has bubbled and burst. I am thinking this is probably water proofing and I will need a whole new niche (don't know the correct termonogy for it). Can someone tell me if this is something I can install myself or will I need my pool man to come do it for me? I have managed to maintain my pool for the past 4yrs, so I am not above trying something like this. I have attached pics of light.

Attachments

• inside niche.JPG
    inside niche.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 922
  • outside niche.JPG
    outside niche.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 734
It sounds like you are talking about replacing the fixture, not the niche. The fixture is the part you have pictured. The niche is the part that is embedded in the pool wall and can not be removed that the fixture fits into.

Replacing a fixture is something you can do your self if you are reasonably handy. You need to find the junction box where the other end of the cable comes above ground, disconnect the wires, Connect a string/rope to the wires, and pull them through. Then connect the new fixtures wire to the string, pull them back through, connect to the wires coming from the controls, and close the junction box up again. It isn't too bad unless the conduit is damaged. If the conduit has crushed, or leaked and been patched with epoxy you may not be able to pull the wire through.

Uh-Oh. Sounds complicated already. Junction box? I THOUGHT I was handy until you just described what I need to do, LOL! You are talking to a retired single woman trying to do things on her own.

Personally, I've always spliced the old wires to the new wires, and used the old wire to pull the new one through the conduit. If I'm going to have to pull the old wire out and the new wire through, might as well do both at one time.

Silly question, but if you put a bulb in it, does it work.
It is possible that someone put in a higher wattage bulb, or the fixture was on, and water level too low for a period of time. That will do this kind of damage.
It doesn't necessarily make the fixture bad. Usually melts the gasket a little as well, and you should replace that.
You can try it with an ordinary bulb to see if it works.
Just dont drop it in the pool. :shock:

No, it was nothing like that. The light had been working from the day the pool was filled four yrs ago. It quit working this past August and I was too lazy to fix it at that time, deciding to put it off until this spring. I have not put the new bulb in because I saw the damage to the fixture as indicated in the picture. I was told the "bubbles" that were there and the one that had burst, leaving a samll hole means the fixture is no longer water proof and should not be used. I do not like my grandchildren swimming at night without a light in my pool, so I have to get it fixed. Pulling the wires, etc., is a bit over my head, so will have to call my pool man and watch the steps he takes for "next time".

Have read the above. I have a 25+ year old pool, going to re-plaster pool/spa this fall. The lights are both Swimquip 5086. Really outdated lights. I do want something more energy efficient. Exactly what would be the procedure to Drill-hammer-chunk out the OLD Niche and install a new one? I just had new conduit added to the old conduit about 3 feet outside the spa, and there is a string through there right now. (the pool light is still intact, but I am assuming you could use the electrical wire to pull through the new electrical wire. I know concrete can be chipped out. I know you can modal in new concrete, but how do you keep the line to the conduit open and free? I will have it done, but I want to be knowledgeable about the process.

- - - Updated - - -

If too expensive or not possible, I will fill in niches and use some other kind of water driven lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.