Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Replacing Inground Pool light niche/Fixture

Replacing Inground Pool light niche/Fixture

I pulled my pool light out, thinking I only needed to replace the bulb. Once I inspected it, I noticed that the black coating in the base of it where the bulb gets screwed in has bubbled and burst. I am thinking this is probably water proofing and I will need a whole new niche (don't know the correct termonogy for it). Can someone tell me if this is something I can install myself or will I need my pool man to come do it for me? I have managed to maintain my pool for the past 4yrs, so I am not above trying something like this. I have attached pics of light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

Re: Replacing Inground Pool light niche/Fixture

It sounds like you are talking about replacing the fixture, not the niche. The fixture is the part you have pictured. The niche is the part that is embedded in the pool wall and can not be removed that the fixture fits into.

Replacing a fixture is something you can do your self if you are reasonably handy. You need to find the junction box where the other end of the cable comes above ground, disconnect the wires, Connect a string/rope to the wires, and pull them through. Then connect the new fixtures wire to the string, pull them back through, connect to the wires coming from the controls, and close the junction box up again. It isn't too bad unless the conduit is damaged. If the conduit has crushed, or leaked and been patched with epoxy you may not be able to pull the wire through.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Uh-Oh. Sounds complicated already. Junction box? I THOUGHT I was handy until you just described what I need to do, LOL! You are talking to a retired single woman trying to do things on her own.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

Personally, I've always spliced the old wires to the new wires, and used the old wire to pull the new one through the conduit. If I'm going to have to pull the old wire out and the new wire through, might as well do both at one time.
    15k IG gunite w/attached spa, Pentair VS-3050 pump, PacFab Mytilus 150 cartridge filter, The PoolCleaner 2X suction cleaner, Liquidator still in box in garage

Senior Member In the Industry

Silly question, but if you put a bulb in it, does it work.
    It is possible that someone put in a higher wattage bulb, or the fixture was on, and water level too low for a period of time. That will do this kind of damage.
    It doesn't necessarily make the fixture bad. Usually melts the gasket a little as well, and you should replace that.
    You can try it with an ordinary bulb to see if it works.
    Just dont drop it in the pool.

No, it was nothing like that. The light had been working from the day the pool was filled four yrs ago. It quit working this past August and I was too lazy to fix it at that time, deciding to put it off until this spring. I have not put the new bulb in because I saw the damage to the fixture as indicated in the picture. I was told the "bubbles" that were there and the one that had burst, leaving a samll hole means the fixture is no longer water proof and should not be used. I do not like my grandchildren swimming at night without a light in my pool, so I have to get it fixed. Pulling the wires, etc., is a bit over my head, so will have to call my pool man and watch the steps he takes for "next time".

Senior Member In the Industry

I think the bubbling in the potting was there from the factory. If it got hot enough to bubble, it would melt and get thicker on the bottom of the fixture.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool