Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water generators causing corrosion

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water generators causing corrosion

I am going to be installing a Hayward SWG. My inground pool is rectangular, 24'x44' feet. Approx. 40,000 gallons. I have a gas heater. My pool company recommends using the mineral springs instead of pool salt. He said there might be a corrosion problem with the heater if I just use salt. Any truth to this?
    24 x 44 inground pool
    Vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water generators causing corrosion

Welcome to TFP!

I don't have a heater on my pool but their are many members of this site that has heaters and SWG's on their pools. I haven't heard or seen any issues posted on this forum in reference this topic. Hopefully the experts with heaters while chime in more.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the swg is plumbed in after the heater, you'll be fine. Mineral Springs...hah
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

I only recommend heat pumps now which have a titanium core. gas heaters are ok but more expensive to run. I would never recommend or install a regular electric heater in any of our pools. We plumb the cell after the heater and pool equipment. we use solar salt which is recommended. I guess don't keep high salt level in the pool. 3,200 is perfect. Haven't had any problems with corrosion. high chlorine levels would be more corrosive than a little salt. especially those chlorine tablets when people put them in the skimmer. destroys the pump and de filter. full of acid and chlorine goes straight to the equipment.

and what is mineral springs? there are several types of salt but 2 main ones are..rock salt comes from underground. never use rock salt its too impure. solar salt is refined sea salt which is the purest and what is used in conditioning water systems as well as in pools for swg's.

5. Back To Top    #5

There isn't any risk to the heater from a SWG if everything is installed correctly. Some heaters have problems with ocean water levels of salt, but a typical SWG uses far lower levels of salt, well below the level where problems start.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There isn't any risk to the heater from a SWG if everything is installed correctly. Some heaters have problems with ocean water levels of salt, but a typical SWG uses far lower levels of salt, well below the level where problems start.
    10% of the ocean salt level...sometimes actually less..

7. Back To Top    #7

Mineral Springs Beginnings is 75% to 90% SALT
    5% to 15% boron salt (Borax)
    2- 10% inorganic Acid - To lower the PH of the Borax
    0.5 to 5 % organic acid - CYA- Stabilizer

Here is the MSDS
    http://www.pools.com/doc_library/docs/123231.pdf

California has increased regulations for Borax so there is a special formation for California users
    95% to 98% Salt
    1 to 2 % Cyanuric acid

Here is the MSDS
    http://piscines-apollo.com/bioguard/123233.pdf

Here is the MSDS for the Renewal product
    http://piscines-apollo.com/bioguard/123230.pdf
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BioGuard Mineral Springs Beginnings

A 28 lb bag is $59 so you would need 40 bags for a 40,000 gal pool or $2360 worth

OR

You could purchase 27 bags of pool salt @ 6 per 40 lb bag. for a total of $162 and spend $35 for 20 lbs of Cyanuric Acid and walk away for less than $200 total.

Save yourself the $2000+ and mix it yourself

Edited to correct information about borax
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    I only recommend heat pumps now which have a titanium core
    I've recently been installing some with kevlar heat exchangers !
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Poolschoolgrad
    California has regulations prohibiting the sale of Borax so there is a special formation for California users
    That's not really true. You can find 20 Mule Team Borax in most grocery stores in California. The issue is the regulation for transportation and disposal of "hazardous waste" and Borax just crosses that line (in California's tighter regulations) when in concentrated form so that requires more paperwork and cost (hazardous waste licensed transporters), but it's not prohibited from sale. The manufacturers of these pool products simply decided not to pay the extra cost and offer the product with that formulation. You can nevertheless get not only Borax, but also boric acid from sources in California as well as shipped to California, though shipping is more expensive (as expected).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I've recently been installing some with kevlar heat exchangers
    What brand might this be?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    I only recommend heat pumps now which have a titanium core.
    FYI. Cupro-nickel alloy is also very salt and chemical resistant and is found in many heat exchangers.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    I've recently been installing some with kevlar heat exchangers
    What brand might this be?
    I just looked at the website again and I was mistaken, they use titanium.

http://www.europoolshop.com/index1.html
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.