Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with my battle

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with my battle

Hi

Had a weird day yesterday. Have green pool so gathered my bleach and test kit- tf-100 and started to get ready for the fight. My cya seemed to be 50 and my tc was 4 I decided to shock and tried to get it to 20. An hour later. When I added the r-870 I got a slight tinge of pink and after I swirled it it was clear...clear? So I panicked and decided to add enough to bring it again to 20 and an hour later. The test was the same but this time I added a drop of the r-871 (curiosity) and it started to turn pink..what the heck. I sent hubby to pool store this am for correct readings....see below

Test Name¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬* Acceptable Range¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* Value
    Free Available Chlorine¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 1 to 4 ppm¬* ¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬*6.03¬* high
    Total Chlorine¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 1 to 4 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 6.03¬* high
    Combined Chlorine¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* <0.2ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 0¬* OK
    Total Alkalinity¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 80 to 120 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 221¬* high
    pH level¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬ *¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 7.2 to 7.6¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 7.9¬* high
    Calcium Hardness¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 200 to 500 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 26 low
    Cyanuric Acid¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 20 to 50 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 19¬* low
    Copper was 0
    Iron was 0
    Total Dissolved Solids¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 0 to 2000 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* 0 OK
    Saturated Index¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* -0.3 to 0.3 ppm¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* -0.3¬* OK
    ¬*
    So I guess I am asking ...could my r-870 have gone bad over the winter? Was kept in a drawer away from water, heat, and cold

Pool store was telling my DH to flock and brush vacuum, back wash blah blah

I don't want to begin my TFP method of algae fighting unless I know I have my test kit working well

Thanks in advance

Becca
    ¬*
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"
    Jacuzzi 1.5 hp pump, 300 lb sand filter
    Full hot sun in Heart of Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with my battle

Add more powder! With high FC you sometimes need more.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto..those pool store results look real suspect.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. Spoke with Duraleigh, found out that sometimes I need to use more than 1 scoop of r-870 and that actually I dosed again off the assumption I had zero fc when actually I had quite bit. The pool store test results were waaaay off. I retested the water and found my fc to be at 26 and I am going with my test result of 50 for cya. Thankfully I had 50 vs 19 cya to buffer my error on bleach dosing. This is my 2nd season so I am still learning and still so very thankful for everyone at TFP! I even got a proper lesson on how to use my filter since the pool installer assumed I knew...thank you Duraleigh!
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"

5. Back To Top    #5

Melt in the Sun

I had no idea you could/should add more powder. If the directions say ONE scoop...that is what I do .....in any case...lesson learned and I am feeling much more confident with MY results vs the pool store.
    Kawfy