Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
When I first purchased the Tigershark QC, it didn't move for like 10 minutes or more and I was told it was mapping the pool.

I found later in the season I wasn't happy with the performance and then it stopped climbing walls, it has since been repaired.

Although after the repair I expected it to re-map and I don't think it has.

1. How do I force a re-map?

2. How do I remove the unit from the water without some dirt getting thrown back in? first I find it hasrd to remove, I kind of hold it up a little so some water can drain and hen I pull it up and the pressure of the water will send some dirt back in.

3. I read other another post that said there unit was smart enough to stop getting stuck on the main drains (I have 2 of them), but mine still does sometimes but it is has improved since I put that lifter on the bottom but it can still happen.

4. I also find my unit does not work systematically, it doesn't get every spot or sometimes misses the entire area or won't climb all the walls.

Overall I haven't been that happy and sometimes I find just getting out the Vacuum is easier and faster.

I do move that lever to the other side each time I use it, I do clean the filter after almost every use.

Appreciate anything you can tell me to get better use of it as Pool season starts real soon for me.

Re: How to get Tigershark QC to re-map pool and other proble

I know nothing about the TigerShark in particular, but other pool robots of that style don't have any concept of a "map" of the pool. They run their pattern, which works the way it works, regardless of what kind of pool you have. Some of them have a configuration setting that lets you choose a couple of different patterns, but that is mostly limited to the ones with remote controls.

Some debris always gets back in the pool. There isn't anything you can do about that. Taking it out quickly often helps, but that dumps more water on the deck than allowing it to drain does.

"does not work systematically" - That is totally normal. Over several cleanings it should get everywhere, though there are always places it does many times and other places it only does occasionally.

I can't believe it, 2nd year in a row and it has stopped climbing walls, so back to the shop for repair. It'sstill under warranty as the QC has a 3 year warranty but I can't see myself paying to repair it if it happens every year, I hardly use this thing.

Is this common with these robotic cleaners?

JasonLion said:
Some debris always gets back in the pool. There isn't anything you can do about that. Taking it out quickly often helps, but that dumps more water on the deck than allowing it to drain does.

The Polaris 9300 robots do not allow any debris back into the pool. Very different from most bots.

Rockstead said:
I can't believe it, 2nd year in a row and it has stopped climbing walls, so back to the shop for repair. It'sstill under warranty as the QC has a 3 year warranty but I can't see myself paying to repair it if it happens every year, I hardly use this thing.

VERY common, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. my dolphin worked fine, my bluediamond was in the shop every few months. at least 6 times in 2 years.

thats why when I buy a cleaner now, I factor in the warranty period and price so I know how much I'm paying per year, because when the warranty is out, you will be buying another one, not a question of if, just when.

robl45 said:
Rockstead said:

VERY common, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. my dolphin worked fine, my bluediamond was in the shop every few months. at least 6 times in 2 years.

thats why when I buy a cleaner now, I factor in the warranty period and price so I know how much I'm paying per year, because when the warranty is out, you will be buying another one, not a question of if, just when.

They really need to develop some sort of powered manual Vaccuum, so something that has the filter and the cleaning power of a Robot but is operated manually so it gets done quickly, I would never pay the expense for the remote ones and these things just don't haev a long shelf life, just ain't worth it.

I've got a tigershark qc.. actually really like it. I have lots of trees, so this thing gets cleanup duty weekly. I replace the filters about every year (they blow out). I have replaced the impeller twice now (once was totally my fauly). One of the treads broke last night, but I saw it coming and have replacements.

It doesn't climb the walls as well as it used to, but it does a good enough job. Had it since March of 2007.

Never seen a way for it to remap, it does get stuck on the main drain sometimes, but usually works its way free eventually. (2 speed pump, mostly on low, so the suction is not crazy) It never got stuck before pool-refinishing, when they replaced my old drain cover with a "raised" cover (for safety I suppose).

I had a problem where the bottom would fall out (dumping a giant mess in the pool) and breaking the bottom plate.. I go with the fast pull out method. I would have to put my hand in the water and support the bottom, or at least check that the latches did not work their way loose. Under waranty I replaced the bottom cover and the one they sent had somewhat sticky (when wet) padding.. that and the plate is old and gummed up so the latches are trickier, I haven't had that problem in a while.

Anyway, here is hoping it lasts a bit longer. (Already had to replace SWG and pump this year!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.