Tile/Wall Repair

Mar 22, 2011
Largo, FL USA
A couple pieces of tile fell off my pool wall near the steps. I'd seen that the grout needed some repair but forgot to do it. When the pieces fell off I noticed a big crack behind the tiles!

Pics:

So my question is, do I look up (or get a book on) grout/tile repair and go about repairing the tile or is it likely that I've got a MAJOR problem with the crack there and need to get a pro in.

The crack (at least the visible part) is above the normal water line.

Because the pool and the deck sometimes develop cracks between them I have use some white silicone to fill the crack and remount the tile and use the silicone to fill the grout space also. This is what I have done and it’s held up for a few years so far.

I'm not a pro. I have found a lot of information online about cement cracks and I think that this may apply to your case.
Take from it what you will.

Good luck.

Horizontal cracking in the waterline tile

* What it looks like: This is the most common type of cracking found in pools, and it looks just like the name indicates.
* What causes it: The concrete deck is not completely separated from the pool's bond beam. The deck moves, putting pressure against the pool wall. As a consequence, the pool's bond beam may crack. If waterline tile is affixed to the problem area, the tile will fracture as well. Similar cracking can result from a common technique used to prepare for the coping. Workers level the top of the bond beam by applying a layer of mortar. If the material doesn't properly affix to the beam, it may delaminate, causing the tile in front of it to crack.
* How to prevent it: Completely separate the concrete deck from the pool's bond beam. An expansion joint must extend the full depth of the deck. For example, if your deck is 4 inches thick, the expansion joint must be 4 inches deep. This prevents the two bodies from touching. To ensure proper adhesion between the bond beam and that leveling layer of mortar, follow proper workmanship procedures. Moisten and clean the beam before applying the mortar.
* How to fix it: In either case, the pool builder must remove and replace the cracked materials using proper trade procedures. Often, workers must retile the waterline as well.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-21 at 9.26.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-21 at 9.26.49 PM.png
    121 KB · Views: 227
I have the same problem but its in my spa rather than my pool. Is the white silicon enough to bond/fill the crack? The pool is pretty old so I doubt the pool and spa shifted causing it to crack. I have read someone using Quikrete Hydraulic Water Stop Cement. What do yall think about using this rather than silicon?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.