Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need help finding a return for my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

need help finding a return for my pool

I recently got an Intex SWG for this years pool opening. I want to plumb it in with hard PVC.

The person that installed my pool (which I can't find now), used silicon and apparently some type of glue on the flexible PVC from the outlet of the sand filter to the return on the side of the AGP. With force to try and unscrew the fittings, they cracked so I just had to break and cut them off. Still part of the return is in the pool as I have to go get a smaller hack saw to finish getting it out.

So.... I'm not sure what to get to replace it. When I search for 'pool returns' I get either eyeball fittings or returns that have barbed or tapered hose attachments on the back for use with flexible hoses and clamps.

What type of return do I need to search for and any suggested places to order, for a replacement return that I can use screw on type return fittings and hard PVC?

Would Leslie's have anything like this? That is the only pool products store I know of, about 45 minutes away. I'd like to get it for this weekend but will wait if I have to order online.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need help finding a return for my pool

Hi Rastoma,

The returns that have the barbed fitting or tapered fittings on them, they can be removed off of the return. You can connect the PVC pipe directly to the return. I did a search on ebay and found a few for you. AGP Returns
    Ckeck out my post about adapters to connect Intex equipement to standard PVC pipe Custom PVC Adapters for Intex Pools
    Hope this helps.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome, thanks Mark.

But lucky me!!

I was coming to log on and post that I don't need a return now... I don't think.

I remember I bought a replace wide mouth skimmer last year and hadn't installed it yet. While searching online for returns, I kept getting results for skimmers and the pics showed a return with it.

So I just checked and the skimmer package I bought last year has a new return in it And yes, you are right, it has a tapered hose attachment but it just unscrews.

I will definitely be checking out your post about plumbing in the Intex SWG. Thanks again.
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, another question about the return. I found a post at another site that said the gaskets on the return should be two rubber gaskets on each side of the wall and on the outside wall, a cork gasket right before the nut.

Is that correct? On the return I just realized I had has the cork gasket before the rubber gasket. I figured it was just hastily put on for shipping purposes.

So what is the correct way?

And is it ok to use teflon tape on the threads of the return?

5. Back To Top    #5

The instructions you found are correct. When they're assembling them for packaging they just pull the parts from a bin and stick them on there in any order.

Yes it's not only ok but preferable to use t-tape on the threads.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

we use Hayward SP1023 returns for above ground pools