Super chlorination and shocking question

Sep 23, 2010
SC Lowcountry
I read in a post recently that super chlorination is not really intended to bring FC up to shock levels. My pool is less than a year old and I've only used the super chlorination function a few times (massive rain & heavy swimmer load). At the time, I didn't have the capability to measure FC above 5, so I'm not real sure what FC level was achieved. I've since added a better testing kit to my arsenal. I was wondering if you folks had any experience as to max FC output while super chlorinating. I'm aware that that there are alot of variables in my question (pool and cell size, amount of sunlight etc.). Just thought I'd throw the question out there until I actually have to use the super chlor. function again and then test.

Thanks

all that superchlorination mode on SWG usually does is run it at 100% output for 24 hours (or however long it's on).

it's exactly same as setting your SWG to maximum output and leaving it there, and certainly is not intended to shock the pool.

it's more of a way to give your pool a one time boost of chlorine if you have a pool party. saves you changing settings back and forth

If you are shocking the pool, you really want to add lots of chlorine all at once. SWG are designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily. In some cases, especially when your SWG is significantly larger than what is required by your pool, it is possible to shock using the SWG, but even then it is an inefficient use of the SWG.

Gotcha. That's why I love this site. You folks are great at straightening me out. Just tested my water, and after 2 days of teenagers and dogs in the pool (spring break), my FC dropped from 5 to 1.5 . Guess I'll get to see what 5hrs of super chlorination actually does.

Thanks again.

The pool installation was finished early last August, so I only really had 3 months of normal use. I was running it around 30%, and it seemed to keep up fine except on several occasions when the load was heavy. Pump runs 6 to 8 hrs a day. Since this cell is rated for pools up to 15k, would it be worth the extra cost to go up to the next size when I need to replace the current one?

I had a pool running at fc of 17ppm but that was due to high levels of cya. since then I replaced water and cya is 100 and fc is 6.5 now. I am lowering fc lower over the next few weeks.

as to shocking why shock? if you are seeing some green on the walls thats due to low cya and you need to top it up. I like 80-100ppm. if my pool has cya of 80 I like fc to be around 4ppm if cya is 100 I like 5ppm..so I keep fc between 4-5 and don't let it drop below 3.5. do this and keep an eye on cya make sure its kept at 80-100 and you will never have to shock even with tons of swimming, very high summer UV or rain or whatever ..the pool will never need shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.