bullnose concrete paver coping installation HELP!

Apr 20, 2011
I need little help, please. The pool is in already, filled with water (steel walls, vinyl liner). I just bought concrete bullnose coping 8" long (not the usuall 12", wife liked it better). The top edge is about 4" to 6" wide (not sure exactly, but 8" coping sticks out just over an inch in the back) and it has that small plastic edge on top of it. 1.) what is the usuall overhang between bullnose coping and the edge of the pool inside? 2.) what kind of mortar to use to set concrete coping on? 3.) what kind of material you use to fill the gaps between the bullnose coping? (can it be the same as mortar, i want as light color as possible). 4.) do i just lay mortar down on steel and position the coping on it? (of course making sure it's leveled, because that plastic edge is a little higher). 5.) Since bullnose coping will overhang little bit in the back should i fill that area with mortar too?

Thank you in advance.

I set concrete pavers in a bed of morter behind my aluminum coping. The gaps between my pavers were so narrow I elected not to try and force mortar down into them. I however built my walls out of concrete block filled with concrete so the bed of mortar I used to set the pavers in was resting on the top of an eight inch concrete wall. I mention this because I am not sure how good mortar would bond to metal. You might consider using thin set like for setting ceramic tile. In any event I would try a sample section first to see how it worked before I committed one alternative to the whole project. I hate to side with the wife but with a 12" bullnose coping you could have poured a small concrete pad behind the metal wall to give the coping more surface area to adhere.

thanks for the response, but i already bought 8" concrete coping she wanted ;) i found out that overhang is usually 1/2" to 1" so i guess it's up to me to see how it looks. I am not sure if thin set is the way to go. I still need to find out what material to use to attach bullnose to steel wall and fill the gaps between them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.