Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: enhancing colour of natural stone coping

1. Back To Top    #1

enhancing colour of natural stone coping

When I built my pool in 2007 my natural stone coping was a beautiful black colour with brown and beige veins running through it. Over the years with the sun and I guess salt water the colour has turned to a dull cement looking grey and I have lost all the character of the veins also. The only time it looks good is when it is wet, last year I tried applying an impregnator from Techniseal and it looked better than new but only for a bout 2 to 3 weeks and then it looked even worse than it did before.

Is there anything I can do to get the colour and character back?

Thanks for your help
    Mario
    I.G. Vinyl 17,000 gl. 16 x 32 cresent, 11' steps, spillover spa, natural rock waterfall, saltwater, Aqualogic P4 system w/aquapod and spa side remote, Aqua rite T-15 salt, Hayward H250, Hayward cartridge filter, 2 x 1.5hp Hayward superpump(pool & spa), 1 x 1hp superpump(waterfall)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: enhancing colour of natural stone coping

If it looks good wet, then a good sealer should help. The old sealer will have to be removed before applying the new sealer. Using a paint brush will give a better result than a roller. The brush allows you to work in the sealer creating a better finish. A roller tends to give uneven superficial results. Try a test spot first to see if you get good results. Using sealer can make the coping slippery when wet, so take that into consideration when evaluating the test spot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I removed the old sealer and even pressure washed the stone,

before I attempt to reseal it I am curious to see if anyone can recommend the best sealer that will last and withstand salt water and sun.
    I.G. Vinyl 17,000 gl. 16 x 32 cresent, 11' steps, spillover spa, natural rock waterfall, saltwater, Aqualogic P4 system w/aquapod and spa side remote, Aqua rite T-15 salt, Hayward H250, Hayward cartridge filter, 2 x 1.5hp Hayward superpump(pool & spa), 1 x 1hp superpump(waterfall)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have visited a few stone places in and around my area and I found the following penetrating sealers.

Aqua Mix Enrich N Seal
    Terra seal 4350 by Dyna

Has anyone had any experience with these, I know the Aqua Mix line is sold nation wide in Canada and the USA so some of you may have had experiences with it.

Please let me know
    Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

There is sealer with color enhancer in it too, but it's WAY more expensive.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

These both have colour enhancers in them and I know the aqua mix is about $50/quart or $190/gallon so it is very expensive.

I just would like to hear from others and their experiences.

7. Back To Top    #7

Miracle stone seal and enhance from Home Cheapo works very well and gives color enhancement and some sheen. I use it in all places and does not seem to dull out until 9-10 months
    OB Pool - 45K Gal. 64'x25' free-form IG - 35'x18" raised bond beam - Swim up bar w/ 5 stools - 14'x8 ' sunken patio/grill area w/ icemaker, fridge, SS cabinets, sink, granite counters, dual head grill - 14' spa w/12 venturi jets - 2 fire bowls - 1 firepit - Indeck drink cooler - 3 fiberlit waterfalls - 14' sun shelf with 2 fiberlit bubblers - 25 x fiberlit star floor fixtures - 5 Pentair Intelliflow 3HP pumps - Tiger Shark QC Cleaner - 4 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Intellichlor IC40 alt cells - Intellitouch i9 w/ i10x expansion - Pentair IS10 spa side remote - MobileTouch2 - 4 Valve Actuators - Silencer Blower - Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter - 2 fiberlit laminars - 4 Fiberstar Illuminators - Perimeter fiberlit bar counter and spa - 2 Bermuda Skimmers - 8 Returns - Hydrazzo custom color plaster - Natural quartz ledging - Glass Mosaic Tile - 2000 sq ft paver deck w/ double banded poured coping - Interfab G-Force Pool slide.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure about any sealer that is sold at the big box stores?

I did find something called Mexiglaze from Aldon Chemical for very porous stone, they have a very extensive website.

has anyone heard about it?

9. Back To Top    #9