Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar cover tricks/storage

1. Back To Top    #1

solar cover tricks/storage

We have a 24' round with a small deck/fence that goes around it. The cover is so cumbersome, the reels look interesting, but I can't see how one would work in my circumstance. Looking for ideas to make life easier, as I think the cover will really help keep the heat, but because it was such a pain, we didn't use it much last year. Also considering the solar panels.
    30' Diameter Above Ground Pool, 20,100 gallon,
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: solar cover tricks/storage

I don't think a reel would fit in your situation. Can you post a picture of your pool? You can cut a solar cover into sections to make it easier to handle.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a picture - let's see if this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30' Diameter Above Ground Pool, 20,100 gallon,
    Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    NE Ohio

That's a really great pool you have there!

We have a smaller Intex round and I've been asking myself the same question. We're upgrading our solar cover this year and I'm thinking that I'm going to try this:

Solar Cover Reel Solution

I was initially looking for instructions for making shepherd's hooks out of PVC that I can stick in the ground next to the pool so I can slide the cover off by myself, but everything I've read about how the covers degrade when not cared for properly lead me to think sectioning the cover and rolling them up in this manner will be a better solution.

I figure if we have a storm, I'll haul out the debris cover so we don't lose the solar cover pieces.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Before I had a reel I used to roll mine up and drape it on the far side of the pool with the ends hanging off. That was fine for when it was just me & hubby in the pool, but for a party or something I would have to do something else with it.

I can't tell from your picture how much space is between the pool and the fence, but maybe there is enough room to tuck it there. Or maybe you can rig something similar to the Solar Saddle, but attach it to the fence instead of to the pool? Cutting it into 2-3 sections would definitely help.

Also, go with the lightest one you can get (8 or 12 mil). None of them last more than 2-3 season in my experience, so you may as well get something lighter that is going to be easier to handle.

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!