Finding a good Pool Builder

XsAllOverIt

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Airy, Maryland
Just a couple comments for those that are starting to look for a good pool builder. I spent very little time researching pool companies because I took a recommendation and ran with it. If I did it again, I would go visit some of the pools that were built. Besides all the problems that I've had and continue to have at this point, communication is a REALLY IMPORTANT trait that you'll want with your pool builder.

Earlier, I had emailed both owners TWICE and indicated all the gates and doors need to be shut during/after work due to our two dogs. I also told one of the workers when I saw him. The last time he came, my pool house (full of stereo equipment and tools - LOTS of them) was wide open. They had the combination to the pool house to open it, but yet no ability to close it.

Yesterday, they left the gate open when delivering salt. On the ticket, it stated specifically "CLOSE GATES when you get there and leave!". When Lana came home the dogs ran around the house to greet her. The gate was wide open. Fortunately, nothing happened.

It's like talking to a BRICK WALL and expecting a reasonable response. This company prides itself in hiring Americans and the statement was "We like to have our employees understand our directions" more or less.

I've got all the gates and doors locked from here on out and no visits without someone home. Fortunately, the only items left are a pump replacement, caulking around the pool for the 2nd time and a small repair on the plaster. Over the months, when I asked for "A", I usually got "B+C-D-E-F". I would have never expected that from my initial visits. Be forewarned with the journey you're set out to engage in. Ask other pool owners how the communication with the pool builders went throughout the process. Make a large final draw and insist on it. It will provide better response time throughout the building process. I believe that our biggest stumbling block throughout the pool build was communication which resulted in many issues - some short term and a couple LONG term and I often wonder how it can be so poor. Many of our LONG term issues could have been communicated much better and resulted in better solutions.

Talk to past clients

"Ask other pool owners how the communication with the pool builders went throughout the process."

Sometimes I wish we had done this, however, I have a feeling that the owners of the pools we were taken to see were probably very pleased with our builder because their projects were likely triple the cost of ours and also because they weren't present or caring about the details and the structural steps along the way. Two not-small examples for us: a bond coat was in the contract, but on plastering day, we were told it had not been done but did not need to be done. Sealing of the pavers and the coping was in the contract but was put off "until the surface was dry enough to do" and also after final payment--it was never done.

"Make a large final draw and insist on it."

The way we understood the final payment of the contract to be, it meant we made final payment once everything was finished; however, slyly, that was not exactly how it was, hence the many things that did not get done.

Anyone hearing my tales of woe would wonder why we didn't press to have these things done. Our experience was that we pressed to have "40" things done, and we were worn down in the end to having "37" done. This PB holds all the warranties on all the product, workmanship, etc. Should we ever need him in the future.....well, he probably won't return our calls.

I heard it somewhere on this forum--something along the lines of "if it's not written in the contract, it has not been said". Good advice, very true, and as I say, it can be in the contract and be skipped or changed somehow.

I think that pool building is a funny, odd industry. I think that there is a lot of room for variety in builders' experience, integrity, quality and turnover of staff and subcontractors. I feel that here on this forum we encounter builders of a caliber not typical across the country.

In the end, it's a gamble!

Lana
(not the OPs wife :lol: )

I agree, they wear you down and more importantly they had the advantage for quite some time since the draws were so high and much more work needing completed. They've done everything they said they'd do so far, but not at the caliber I would have expected, nor in a timely way without a lot of pestering. I certainly wouldn't run a business this way and expect to be in it for long. SIGH...

My PB had about 5% of the total contract as the 'Final' 'Due at Plaster' Payment. He normally collects that before the Plaster is installed. In my case there was a lot of work after the plaster, so he didn't collect the final check until yesterday (we are 99.9% done at this point). He tells me the reason they usually collect the final check before plaster is becuase 'some people' just quit cutting checks once they have water in the pool.

I trust him to handle any minor problems and the couple open items. I would be much more hesitant to cut a final check if there were problems along the way.

I do find it strange how people will just walk through any open gate when there is a construction project under way. I had to keep our dog on the other side of the house through most of the project. But several times I found that gate wide open (they would need to reset a breaker or turn the main water line on/off). Lucky for us the dog is outside roaming all over the block on a weekly basis, so she doesn't go far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.