Cost associated with BBB

Apr 13, 2011
I know there are some open ended variables to consider here but what kind of costs are people running up during the season on the BBB method. I suspect I'm going to go through quite a few gallons of bleach and such. I am looking for a rough idea here.

1) ~ annual cost of supplies.

2) ~cost for gallon of bleach (just comparing)

3) ~how many gallons of bleach/pool gallons (season)

Again, I know I'm asking for some numbers that can have an appreciable range but I was just curious. My little brain works like that occasionally :party:

Hey Scuba Jim...welcome to TFP :wave:

For chlorine, I think the best value in our area is Walmart Great Value (GV) bleach, although you may be able to find liquid chlorine for a comparable price per ppm at your local pool store.

One gal of 6% bleach adds 6ppm of FC to 10,000 gal of water

in your case (14k gal pool) one large jug (1.42gals) of GV 6% bleach would be worth 6ppm at $2.54 per jug or about $0.42 per ppm of FC. The typical pool will burn between 2-3ppm of FC per day on avg, but depending on how strong that CT sun is :lol: , your milage may vary. A good gues would be $30-$50 per month in chlorine.

Except for the upfront cost...I went to a SWG (Cheap intex) and have never looked back...my only monthly cost now is eletricity for running the pump and SWG and a bit of acid or borax, when needed.

If I remember correctly I spent about $20 a month on chems and another $30 on electricity. So far this year I'm doing better. I've spent $20 on chems and it's been open 2 months.

I can tell it's pool time. Our Walmart is out of large jugs of bleach every time i go there.

For my 16,000 gallon pool, I spend around $15 per month in 12.5% chlorinating liquid and a small amount of Muriatic Acid. The chlorinating liquid costs me around $3.00 per gallon (plus tax) which is equivalent to around $1.11 for a 3/4-gallon jug of 6% bleach. I use about 4 gallons a month since my daily chlorine usage is around 1 ppm FC per day. The usage is low because I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover, though the pool is open for use almost every day for 1-2 hours and longer on weekends.

My swim season is around 7 months (using gas assist in spring and fall) so total chlorine and acid cost is $105. So that's about 28 gallons of 12.5% chlorinating liquid for a season for my 16,000 gallon pool.

The pump electricity cost if far higher than the chemical costs and is the dominant cost for the pool. It's around $115 per month in the swim season and $15 per month in the off season. It's the higher flow rates required for the solar panels that makes the cost so high (along with a high 40 cents per kilowatt-hour marginal electricity rate).

mpippins said:
40 cents??? Wow! I was mad when we went to 5 cents per kwh last year.
That's Northern California with PG&E. The baseline (Tier 1) rate is "only" 12.2 ¢/kWh, but climbs to 40.2 ¢/kWh in Tier 3 and above which is at 200% of baseline or higher. Baseline in the summer (May to October) where I live is 12.2 kWh so 200% is 24.4 kWh.

But electricity isn't really a cost associated with BBB. You'd have to pay those costs regardless of what chlorinating method you used. Unless you used something like a SWG, I guess.

Remember BBB isn't only about using more commonly found (and cheaper) alternatives to pool store chems, its also about understanding basic pool chemistry and getting to know your pool. That way you can interpret your test results, make appropriate adjustments and understand pool chemistry problems you might be having.

The biggest upfront expense is going to be a good test kit, like the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 both are around around $50-$70. (The TF kits have lots of options to choose from ranging from something like $40-$100+)

Liquid chlorine is probably your next biggest expense. Around here Aldi's has a good price about 1.10 (or so) for 3/4 gal of 6% bleach. Walmart, Sams, Kroger, etc... its closer to $1.25-$1.35 for the same amount. How much you depends on a number of factors, amount of sun on the pool, bather load, amount of stabilizer in the pool, etc...

Borax and Baking Soda, honestly, it doesn't seem like you use much of these during normal maintenance of the pool.

There have been several good posts that compare the costs of chlorine. In this post Chemgeek does an amazing job of breaking down the cost chlorine from numerous sources.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/cost-comparison-of-chlorine-sources-t1859.html

I think that where you REALLY save money is by not visiting the pool store to be sold algae removers, phosphate removers, clarifiers, water silkeners, filter saving magic potions and so on.

I buy bleach at Sam's in the 3 pack, $7.80 or so. I buy Muratic acid, at HD or Lowes or the pool store, not sure how much but I do use a lot since tap water TA is so high. I keep cal-hypo and trichlor pucks on hand. Cal-hypo for if CH gets low and/or I need to get FC up fast and don't have enough bleach on hand, and also when it gets really hot and bleach seems to be weak stored in 100 degree temps. I keep pucks for vacations since dealing with bleach is just a lot to ask of the kids who tend the house and pool. If a week or two of pucks gets the CYA too high, I'll deal with it when I get back. The pucks and the cal-hypo are near $100 each in the biggest buckets, but I don't restock very often, maybe every 12 to 18 months? Bleach is the big expense, and that varies with sun and temp. I do need to add in the cost of replacing clothes that are damaged by the micro-splash of bleach that hits me from time to time. Still, I do think it is less than the traditional route of pucks and weekly shock packets followed by algae treatments followed by drain and fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
phipsi1237 said:
I get my Clorox at Costco. 3 182oz Jugs for about $7.50.
anonapersona said:
I buy bleach at Sam's in the 3 pack, $7.80 or so.

Help me with my math.

If I've got a 21,000 gallon pool & I add a gallon of bleach per day to make-up 3ppm of chlorine lost to the sun, on a month with 30 days, I would be spending $75/month right?

Does that sound a little high?

A gallon a day sounds like too much. Perhaps you mean one of those 96 oz jugs, which are three quarts?

Even if you did mean a gallon a day, I think you did your math wrong. Three 182 oz jugs is 4 1/4 gallons, or $1.76 per gallon at phipsi1237's pricing, times 30 days is around $53.

Yup about $55 a month 131x30=3930 oz. per month/182oz = 21.6 or 22 bottles. Great Value Bleach from walmart is 2.54 per 182 oz bottle...or roughly $54 for 22 jugs. That's a lot of jugs :shock:

Any chance you would consider a SWG?...looks like it would pay for itself in 2-3 seasons depending on the SWG cost.

I use an SWG in combination to the BBB method. Funny story...Last year I had one algae outbreak when I went away for work one week. I left my wife in charge and gave her specific instructions to brush the pool every other day or so. When I got home, from 50 yards the pool looked great. When I got close to it, I noticed algae on the walls. We had a July 4th party centered around the pool in 3-4 days. My wife became really concerned when she added bleach to kill the algae and it turned lime green. She was worried the pool wasn't going to be ready for the big party (about 50 people). I worked like heck and got it cleaned up just in time (literally the morning of the party). That was the best self taught lesson last year. Because of this, we spent a little more on bleach than I would have anticipated. I would venture to say we spent about $100-$125 for the season (6 months). Other than that, I spent $45 on a pail of CYA granules which should last me a long time and $50 on the test kit. The unfortunate part of where we live is that the pool receives sun light from early in the morning until at least 5-6PM at which point it goes over the trees. Because of the sun and the trees that surround the pool, I have found it necessary to run the filter up to 10 hours a day to keep the pool looking good. This does not make for a good electric bill.

Doug

I have been doing some figuring of my own, assuming that my usage rates will remain close to the same. I am just a week in, so this is based on very little data so far. (This is for our AG pool. Only around 5400 gallons) High TA, so no need for baking soda.

Bleach = 0.013 per ounce (GV brand, 6%, 96 oz jug - larger jug is 1.4 cents per oz)
Initial dose = First two days = 96 ounces 1.25 total
After that = 16 - 20oz per day. .21 - .26 per day
Filters (replace every 2 weeks) 4.00/each (high range)

CYA = 4lbs (will last entire season) 12.97
Test Kit – Taylor K-2006 54.38
Thermometer 6.95
Shipping 15.00
Muriatic Acid = 5.99/gallon (x2 + tax) 13.00
pH plus (emergency use to raise pH) 6.00

Total Start Up Cost = 110.00
Assuming numbers stay about the same, weekly cost will be around $3.75 which includes changing out filters every 2 weeks.
Assume 20 weeks = $75 + $110 = $185 for this season.

aa62579 said:

You can reduce that cost by buying better filter. There are several companies that make reemay polyester filters that cost about the same as two or three Intex filters, but they last two to three years. I think your filters are Intex type A. Best I can tell Unicel C-4607, Coleco F-120, Pleatco PC7-120 or Filbur FC-3710 would work.

rghilliard said:
aa62579 said:

You can reduce that cost by buying better filter. There are several companies that make reemay polyester filters that cost about the same as two or three Intex filters, but they last two to three years. I think your filters are Intex type A. Best I can tell Unicel C-4607, Coleco F-120, Pleatco PC7-120 or Filbur FC-3710 would work.

I had seen that in a post here or on another forum, but then there was a reply from someone with type A that said they did not work because of some bump or something. I didn't want to spend $20 on something that might not work and I am not one that goes through the hassle of returning items. I have a few Intex already purchased, but I will keep this in mind and maybe try to find some more feedback from others with my same pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.