Pool Calculator says -0.49 CSI, should I add calcium?

lovemypool

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 3, 2010
Fulton, MD
Opened the pool a week and a half ago, here are my test results:

FC 8.5
CC 0.5 (maybe 0, not sure)
pH 7.4
T/A 80
CH 220
CYA 60
temp 59

Pool calculator returns a CSI of -0.49. Do I need to add calcium? Also, if the CC increases further, do I need to shock if we're not yet swimming? Anything else to watch out for?

Thanks.

That depends....

I have been keeping my pool in the -.5 to-.6 zone for a few months, in order to dissolve some ugly calcium scale. It's slow, but it does seem to be working.
So, if you have any scaling, I'd leave things alone.

On the other hand, if you have a new finish, it will likely drive things up by itself. But if it's not new, but looks like it is, then I'd probably want to give it a little nudge towards zero.

Have you tested your fill water? Because water will evaporate, but Calcium is forever. Soon as things heat up, your CH will start rising, unless there's a bunch of kids splashing 4" water out every day.

Play around with pool calculator. See what happens when the temperature goes up, and how much of what you'd need to add. You're not technically in the danger zone, but if 2 bucks worth of increaser gives you peace of mind, spend it. Or maybe $20... Only you know what it's worth to you.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The pool is about 12 years old (we've been in the house less than a year though). Our well water is quite soft. The pool was drained down about 12-14 inches upon close, and rain/snow over the winter filled it up by the time we opened, so it makes sense that the calcium is down compared to last fall. Our neighbor who also has a pool commented that he has to add calcium every year (although I'm not going to go only by what he says, since he relies on the local pool store that uses strips for testing, and this is the same guy who suggested I save on electricity by not opening the pool so early, "just do like I do, pour in some algaecide through the mesh cover, spray the cover off with the hose, and open when the water hits swimming temps".)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.